Remove Leaking Windows to reseal them?

Started by fireballphil, October 03, 2010, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireballphil

My 1987 Chieftain passenger side rear window leaks, the emergency window at the rear has dry rot under the frame. The only way I can see to do it right is to remove both windows, but seeing how I've never done this, I am asking for help. What kind of sealent should I use: silicone?

Oz

There are numerous recommendations on types of caulking sealants to use.  Anything which would work for the roof, would obviously work for the body trim or windows.  I'd suggest searching "sealant"  and "caulk".

Since there is rot, you should, if you can, remove the windows and repair the rot as well.  For minor leaks, removing the old caulk and recaulking without removing the windows is fine but, it's not a permanent fix. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bluebird

I don't know what the correct name is for this product is. But it comes in a roll and is very sticky. They use it for installing windows. I tried to caulk the large passenger side window in my coach a couple years ago, and though I had it fixed. They wall covering was wrinkled up when I bought the coach. It fell off a month ago so I removed the window,only to find the factory never had it sealled right when it was built. Been leaking for 15 years, fortunately it has an aluminum frame. Replace all the rotten wood and made a side panel with upholstery material. Looks real good, now I just have to make a side panel to match for the driver side. I voted for taking it out, and putting in a new seal.

Winnebago Warrior 94

I plan on resealing my windows in my warrior I'm taking the side windows out in the living quarters area  ..do you take the side drivers and passenger windows out and reseal them the same as the living area windows ? And what about the front windshield ..how, do you reseal that .? Is like to make it all leak free ..if anyone has pictures or video links on this please post them ..thanks

Elandan2

The side windows are the same as the living area windows. The windshield is mounted on the steel framework like an automotive one.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

The windshield is glued in with urethane sealer.

Winnebago Warrior 94

Thanks guys ..I will start to work on my windows ..I see some,videos on you tibe also ..appreciate the help

khantroll

Got links to those videos? I'm about to tackle this problem myself