Passenger Side Brake Light Doesn't Work

Started by 4winds, September 14, 2010, 06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4winds

Ok guys,I now have turn signals but my pass side brake lights will not work.  New turn signal switch,new light assemblies,new wiring.  What am I missing? i??

tiinytina

ok this is the KISS answer.. make sure you have a di-pole bulb in the socket...  W%  I did the reverse with my reverse lights... had put in a di-pole bulb when it needed a single pole bulb.... oops :-[ :-[

Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Are you saying that:
1. Both left and right turn signals work both front and rear with brake off.
2. Front and rear parking (tail) lights work correctly on both sides.
3. Left side  (driver) brake light works either with turn signal off or in right turn position.
4. Right side brake does not work either with turn signal off or in left position.

Do emergency flasher work on both sides front and rear?

If yes to all the above, then the only place you could have a problem is the turn signal switch itself.  The brake signal comes from the hazard switch to the turn signal switch via the light blue wire in the drawing.  If the left brake light works, then the light blue wire is connected ok (provides voltage to the Yel/Blk wire.  The connection from the Lt Blu to DG wire (Right Turn/Brake) is not making contact.  Right turn (no brake light) gets it's signal from the flasher via the red wire.

Dave

URL to picture http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll120/BaileyDave/Winnebago/79%20M300%20Dodge%20Chassis/79lightswitch.jpg
[move][/move]

4winds

Parking lights work front & rear, right and left turn signals work, front and rear. Emergency flashers work, front and rear.  Brake lights: left works, right doesn't. $@!#@! i??

DaveVA78Chieftain

Then the only place it cannot be making contact is in that new turn signal switch you just installed.
As you can see from the drawing, it's the brains of the whole thing.
The stiff wire (connected to the LB wire from hazard switch in my drawing)  is not making touching the right rear contact when the turn signal switch is in the center (OFF) position.   The hazard switch routes either the brake light signal (white wire in my drawing) or the hazard warning switch (red wire in my drwawing) to the turn signal switch.
To sum it up, you have a problem in the turn signal switch itself (yes I know you just installed a new one).  The fix may be as simple as bending the stiff wire a touch.  Of course getting access back into that area is no fun (been there done that more than once).  Could be the routing of one of those many wires may be keeping the stiff wire from touching the contact.

Simple check:  At bottom of sterring wheel - Ground neg lead (black) of voltmeter.  At the turn signal plug connector at the bottom of steering wheel push positive lead (red) into cavity of DG wire (2nd pin next to white one).  Set meter to 20VDC.  [or connect a test light to those connections]  Step on brake. Should not be a signal there.  Let off brake and turn on right turn signal.  Should see the voltage come and go.  You just proved turn signal switch is the problem.

Please note:
You have proved the the Dark Green Right Turn/Brake light wire is properly connected from switch to bulb because your right turn light works.
You have proved your brake switch circuit works because the left side turn/brake light works.

Process of elimination is the switch wire/contact for the right side.  Your pulling your hair out over about 1 inch of stiff wire (looks like a paper clip wire imbedded in the plastic).

Dave
[move][/move]

4winds

Called RockAuto.com this morning.  They are reshipping the turn signal switch,explained the problem and they agreed the problem is as you said.  Love to talk to service that listens.  Should have no more brake or turn signal problems for a long time.  Ed W%

DaveVA78Chieftain

Glad you were able to talk to someone at RockAuto that understood how a turn signal switch worked.  Keep us informed about how it all works out.

Dave
[move][/move]