Coleman furnace model #4023A won't work (no LP supply?) FIXED !!

Started by CHALLENGERRON, September 12, 2010, 07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHALLENGERRON

I  can't seem to get the  furnace in our 74'BRAVE to start.  I have followed the instructions in the manual with no luck, the thermostat and blower motor are working,  I am getting fuel to the valve, the glow coil works, I have tried to light with a match, when I hold the ignition button in , I don't think any fuel is flowing ... any ideas. Also there is a steel rod attached to a chain with an eyelet at the end of it. It is not mentioned in the manual, anyone no what it is used for ?  THANKS for your help, Ron   

ClydesdaleKevin

That little wire on a chain is so you can light it manually with a match.  You stick the end of the match in the coil loop, kind of pinch it in there, light the match, and then insert the whole thing a hold it near the glow coil.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

CHALLENGERRON

CHALLENGERRON

I now have propane flowing into the tube that goes to the thermal coupler ? Any way the glow light functions, thermostat and blower motor are working, but no fuel is coming out of the tube by the ignitor / glow light. Is this a bad thermal coupler ? THANKS in advance, Ron

LJ-TJ

Yeh may just have to take it out and clean it. Sometimes mud dobbers get in there or lady bugs and plug them up.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

CHALLENGERRON

CHALLENGERRON

I had time to take it apart today, the pilot line was clear, but the nozzle ?? at the end ( see pic ) was plugged full of a hard white crusty substance, I tried to blow it out with air, no luck even at 160 psi ! , I was able to clear it with a fine metal wire. Is the tip damaged or does it look like this. It has a 600 or a 009 stamped into it.  Also I want to take the whole unit out and give it a good cleaning, there was 2 screws holding it down at the front, it moves but there seems to be something holding it on the outer (body side). Any ideas ?   THANKS again, Ron

tiinytina

propane tips are very very fine... you may just want to invest in another one just in case.... they are brass which is soft so reaming it with a wire could have widened it etc... won't know until you put it back and attempt to fire it up.

We found "securing" screws in unexpected places when we pulled our furnace out... it was put in before the kitchen was built around it so yes, we had to disassemble the entire lower kitchen to remove the furnace to completely take it apart and clean it... (mud dauber nests)... they had put the screws in places obvious when the furnace was just sitting in place but unreachable once the kitchen stuff was around it...

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

CHALLENGERRON

DaveVA78Chieftain

I do not have one of these style units so I hope this helps (mine is a DSI model).
Pilot light assemblys are typically sold as generic items, by length / mounting style, and include both pilot tube and thermocouple.  You will need to do a little hunting to find eaxcatly what you need.  The fact you used the compressed air leads me to believe you read the caution notes about not using anything to clear the pilot nozzle.  You risk enlarging the hole such that the pilot flame is far to high.
Dave
[move][/move]

CHALLENGERRON

I lucked out big time. I stopped by one of the local RV repair shops, and one of the older RV techs, who works part time had a new old stock tip in his tool box, identical to mine , right down to the part number. Price= FREE !!!  He was happy to see an old Winnebago on the road, he had not seen one in years.  I cleaned the burner manifold, reassembled and checked for leaks, it fired right up on the first try. Has nice even flame, no problem heating up the cabin now.  Again, THANKS for all the help !

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ