What New parts do I need to make my 440-3 road ready?

Started by 4winds, September 11, 2010, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4winds

What all should I replace on my 440-3?  It hasn't been on the road in over 10 yrs.  So far I've given it a complete tune-up,new radiator hoses,heater hoses,have a new Ford 3G Alt on the way.  Am I missing anything?  I really want to start driving this by 1Nov. Hm? :)clap

Oz

Check the belts.  Replace engine and transmission gaskets (change trans filter), and watch for valve gasket leaks when you run it.  Fuel pump is likely to have bad gaskets in it so it may be wise to change that too.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

GWINGER

After not running for 10 years the radiator is more than likely plugged or corroded to some degree. Check it good.
J

RV Mech Tech

In addition to what's been recommended, I would change the engine oil and filter , putting in less expensive oil, run the engine for at least an hour and then change the oil and filter again with your choice of oil - when a vehicle sits for that long  condensation may get into the engine internally and start to form rust on the inside of the oil pan and other areas- when you start it up this rust will be loosened and circulate through the engine - how much of this (if any)  will be inside will depend on where the RV  was sitting  but going through several winter periods this does happen - I have seen two engines like this and after cutting the oil filter apart after running the engine for only one hour (new filter and oil) the filter did have a lot of crud in it  -  sitting for this long, be prepared for oil seal leaks as well in both the engine and transmission-seals are lubricated when the engine and transmission are operating as well as the rear axle pinion and axle seals - when you run an engine all the time the heat will take care of any condensation build up inside but when it sits it may accumulate inside - also acids are formed inside the crankcase from regular combustion deposits (blow by past the rings in older engines for example)  and if the old oil was in it all this time then these acids can combine with the moisture to attack metal parts internally.    Hm?

Oz

Actually, Lefty just reminded me about a very comprehensive post he made on this topic.  I added it to the Tech Talk section of Articles:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=3976.0
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

jkilbert

yours sounds just like what i got into with mine. let the list begin.  changed all fluids, hoses, belts, tires, new exhaust, complete chassis lube, rebuilt carb, new fuel pump, new transfer valve, replaced marker lights, turn signals, brake lights, checked brakes, rt side exhaust manifold.  it took me about 4yrs due to money constraints to get it all done  and Pa. inspection passable. the biggest expense was 6 new tires. mine were severely dry rotted from sitting next to the barn at my aunt's farm. as far as things in the coach i had to replace the frdge. it had the original Sibir fridge and these cannot be rebuilt. took apart the furnace and cleaned out the massive bee's nest, replaced non-fuctional thermostat/burner assembly for the hot water tank, fixed thew one and only water leak and that was the toilet flush valve.
many of the little things like lighting i could have gotten away with replacing only the ones that didn't work but i went ahead and did all of them. the front turn signals were converted to 4" grommet mount so that i can switch to LED's when i'm ready, because of the tires i have about $1600 in getting the coach road ready and another $800 into the appliances and interior done so far. not bad for a freebie coach.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt