84 Le Sharo 4 spd Tranny: Hard to put in gear. 5 spd swap?

Started by MSN Member, November 15, 2008, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boots

Sent: 4/14/2007 2:20 PM

I HAVE AN 84 LESHARO TURBO DIESEL WITH THE 4 SPEED IS IT THE NATURE OF THIS TRANSMISSION TO BE DIFFICULT GETTING IT INTO 1ST AND REVERSE IF THE ENGINE IS RUNNING?  REVERSE REQUIRES CONSIDERABLE FORCE AND ALWAYS GRINDS, TYPICALLY I RESOLVE THAT ISSUE BY PUTTING IT INTO REVERSE BEFORE STARING THE ENGINE.  I CAN GET IT INTO FIRST GEAR  WHEN COASTING TO A STOP
REGARDS,
BOOTS

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/14/2007 2:57 PM

Boots,
4th gear in your LeSharo is 1:1... the 5 speed is an overdrive. Yes. It's possible to change over to a 5 speed, but I doubt it would improve anything as far as gas mileage or driveability. I'm not sure it's worth the expense and time to change it over.

I believe the Lesharo's with manual transmissions are all hydraulic clutch, or quite possibly cable operated (I've seen 1 or 2 with a cable but they could have been automatics...). Since you are having trouble getting it into reverse and 1st gear at low speeds, I would suggest first that you bleed the clutch master and slave (replace the fluid and bleed) then make darn sure the transmission is full of fluid too. even a pint low, Renault transmissions can be hard to get into reverse. Test the play in the clutch (more than an inch of play needs an adjustment. the adjustment is on the trans (slave cylinder), not the pedal mechanism (since it's hydraulic!)...

Some wear over 20 years can be expected. I doubt the transmission is perfect, and the clutch is probably well worn. If the fluids are all good, and it still has trouble, try double clutching reverse and 1st, sometimes that's all it takes, but that's a sign of worn out synchronizers and or a mis adjusted/ bad clutch / pressure plate / pilot bushing or throwout bearing. If it shudders when you take off in first, the flywheel is a likely culprit.

om
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...