Can I run two roof air conditioners on 30 amp service?

Started by 4winds, May 26, 2010, 05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4winds

I have two A/C on my Executive.  Can I run both with 30Amp service?  Right now one has bad motor but will have to use both here in Tx this summer.  Already hotter than I can stand $@!#@! $@!#@!

ibdilbert01

Depends on the amps required for the AC units.   The older units were close to 15 amps on a 13.5 btu unit.   Two of them would be pushing your limits.   But if you have smaller units, like the 10k btu units, you should be ok, but with little to none to spare for other accessories including your converter.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

bluebird

My coach is wired for 2 ac units, but the switches are so only 1 at a time can be run on shore power, 30 amp service. But they can both be ran on the gen set, 6500 w.

bob_okc

I  have a 1998 Brave and have the same situation. What I have found in mine is that the rear a/c is wired through the selector switch to the second output of the generator.

(30 amps is not adequate to run them both.) The logic is that when connected to shore power (30 amps) you may select either a/c, one at a time. If you choose to start the generator, it is wired to provide power to the selector switch regardless of whether you use it or not.  For clarification, try this: Leave the 30 amp plug disconnected from eny source and start the generator. You will find that if you select the rear a/c with the switch, it will work but not the front a/c. The front a/c is dependent on the shore power to run. Making sense?

*** NOTE: My unit does not have an automatic transfer switch. I have to physically plug the 30 amp plug into a recepticle in the electrical compartment to use the generator for the main coach. If you have the transfer switch, I believe the logic is the same. Please research you wiring diagrams and have someone qualified do the work. ***

What I intend to do is find where the rear a/c power is tied to the generator and connect a pig tail that will come out in the same compartment as the shore power 30 amp plug. I will also install a standard electrical outlet wired from the generator output (that was disconnected above).

Now, when at a campsite, I can plug the 30 amp in as usual, and also plug the new rear a/c pigtail into the 20 amp service at the electrical box. If I am dry camping and want both a/c's, I plug the rear a/c pigtail into the electrical box that is now wired to the original generation connection.

I hope that helps. I understand that some campgrounds frown on using both connections.

gpw9552

I know this is a old thread BUT

Let me expand on bob_okc
1.  The gen wires to the coach wiring is to a standard 4x4 conduit box located in the gen compartment.
2.  In my case (Onan 6.5 NHE) the wires from the gen were marked 20A and 30A to match the circuit breakers on the gen.  Connections to the coach wiring (12 Romex) were via wire nuts.  Because of limited work space I knocked out a bottom conduit hole and used a 2 foot 12ga stranded 3 conductor wire held in place by a romex clamp.  The plug on the new pig tail is MALE so you need a FEMALE as a dummy when not in use.
3.  REMEMBER TO TURN THE 20A CIRCUIT BREAKER ON THE GEN OFF WHEN USING.  YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEND 115VAC TO THE AC AND THE GEN.

I did my 1988 Winnebago and 2 other 1994 Winnebagos when I worked at Nellis AFB.  Takes about 1 hour start to finish and you can drop the coach temp to 70 degrees when it's 110 outside.
+ side was that the guys gave me $50 to do each coach.  Said it was worth $$$ to keep the wife happy.

Some parks do not have standard 115VAC drops only 30A and 50A.  Carry adapters.