No ignition key! removing ignition cylinder?

Started by Trkrd, May 16, 2010, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trkrd

My Winnie came with the property we bought and has been sitting for some time. I am preparing to restore it but my first hurdle is the key. THERE ISN'T ONE ! Anyone know how to remove the ignition cylinder ? I don't want to damage anything, but all the instructions I can find for removal involve having the key in hand.

ClydesdaleKevin

Is your ignition key switch on the dash or the column?  On the column requires knowing exactly where to drill a small hole and then depressing a pin...not sure where to drill the hole though so you'd have to contact a locksmith.

On the dash is easy, although you'll have to get behind and under the dash.  Simply unscrew the lockring, unplug the wiring harness, and remove the whole assembly. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Trkrd

It's on the column. No locksmith within 50 miles of my place so maybe I can find some info on the internet as to where to drill. Thanks for the tip.

Froggy1936

Hi, A Dodge Dealer could give you this info on where to drill or how to remove the old lock clyinder , If you can convince them its legit  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Trkrd

Got plenty of time to drill lots of holes, just got laid off...............Isn't life grand !

DaveVA78Chieftain

Bummer.
I can appreciate your problem.  Stupid me lost my keys so I currently have an external ignition switch installed.  You may have to get a new switch and cylinder assembly.  They are sold seperately.

Dave
[move][/move]

tiinytina

I "adopted" a 1987 mustang that we were planning to TOAD behind the 1987 Chieftan we almost bought... it came sans key.. I ended up putting a new steering column in it... Got one out of a junker for $75.   Then ended up getting the mustang up and running didn't get the Chieftan so sold it to a neighbor, and a month later found Gone.. ah well

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ibdilbert01

I find when trying to acquire a vehicle without keys, these work really well....

http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-Tools/Auto-Jigglers-Car-Opening-Tool-SJG-10.html

Can't speak enough about southord products, high quality products that work well.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

LJ-TJ

• Why not just remove the ignition switch. It's not that hard and you can take the switch to the locksmith and have him cut a new key. If it's a dodge steering wheel just take the two screws that are under the horn bar out and it will expose the nut that holds the steering wheel on. Remove the steering wheel nut and away you go. Just take lots of pictures as you go. Really it's not that difficult. Hm?

tiinytina

I just pull the wheel then replace the column.. if need.. Uneedapart.com has been my friend when I acquired a 87 mustang without a key... not that hard to do at all... even if you need a puller tool...
T
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

PwrWgnWalt

We didn't have a key with our 'new' MH either, but a local locksmith got one in no time for us, onsite.
Cost about $75, IIRC.  Expensive - yes, but got the job done quick and right. 

If that hadn't been a 'reasonable' option, I was going to remove the old switch (in column) and replace with a new Mopar ignition switch & keys... but never got that far. 

The 76-77 Service Manual provides the instructions for replacing the ignition switch by pushing in (with somehting like a big paperclip) and removing the cylinder - the "Lock Cylinder Release Hole" appears to be inside the column at about 12 o'clock (if 12 is at the top end of the steering column, and 6 o'clock were pointing down the column to the floor).   A picture is worth a thousand words here, so try to get the manual for your chassis if you can.  Thsi info was located in section 19 for me - "Steering"
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteThe 76-77 Service Manual provides the instructions for replacing the ignition switch by pushing in (with somehting like a big paperclip) and removing the cylinder - the "Lock Cylinder Release Hole" appears to be inside the column at about 12 o'clock (if 12 is at the top end of the steering column, and 6 o'clock were pointing down the column to the floor).   A picture is worth a thousand words here, so try to get the manual for your chassis if you can.  Thsi info was located in section 19 for me - "Steering"

I believe that in order to do that (turn switch to a given position) you have to have the key to start with; which in this case is not possible.

Dave
[move][/move]

PwrWgnWalt

I figured there was an chance the PO left the ignition in the 'lock' position...
From my '76-'77 Service Manual, page 19_37 "Disassembly", after previous sections describing the removal of the steering wheel and stuff to gain access to the inside of the column, it reads:

"(7) Place ignition switch cylinder in "Lock" position and remove key.  Insert a small screwdriver or similar tool into lock cylinder release hole and push in to release spring-loaded lock retainer. Pull ignition switch cylinder out of housing bore at the same time and remove ignition switch assembly (Fig. 10)."

The first sentence of the manual text is in bold.  The release hole is inside the column - and again, a picture here is worth its weight in gold to understand the procedure.

Anyhow, that's why I suggested a review of the appropriate year Service Manual, to see exactly what the procedure for that chassis would be...
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

I see what you mean.  Ones I have always messed with had the "pin" hole in the face of the cylinder.  This one is different.  If it works then I believe you can buy a replacement cylinder with keys for less than $30.  Would be the same for all models: M300 - M500.

Wish I had known that before I installed a seperate switch in mine a few years ago.

Dave
[move][/move]

PwrWgnWalt

Yes, it appears that with a little looking the set can easily be had for under $30.

From my '69-'77 MH Parts Book, looks like after '71 (after s/n 2S560914) the cylinder & key pkg is 3635367...

Then from 73-77 it was mopar p/n 3730279...
http://picclick.com/All-Lock-Ignition-Lock-for-Many-Chrysler-W-O-Tilt-Wheel-271059600694.html

Walt & Tina

James E Vining

:)rotflmao   :)rotflmao
I had my Key and Cylinder Fall apart somehow ( It was in the dash so it was easy to remove)
SO what I did instead of replacing it was to install a Toggle switch looking like it runs the generator and then installed a starter Button, SO even if someone tried to mess with the ignition switch it would do them no good.
Now if it ends up stolen I will have to say this was a terrible Idea LOL.
But I doubt anyone would steal it at the moment Unless I paid them to take it  :)rotflmao

James E Vining

Oh man am I retarded, I just told the whole community how to start my MH, $@!#@!
BTW I live in like Idaho, or wait Montana Ya that's it Montana.