Engine won't start. No power to dash or starter.

Started by TITANOSAURUS, May 02, 2010, 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TITANOSAURUS

Hi guys I replaced the Batteries correctly for my 1975 Winibago Indian and I get power for for my lights and trailer but when I turn my key on the steering column I get no power for nothing.
Can anyone help me on this one Thanks. I was very busy doing a full interior restoration and then this happens.

4winds

Could be fusible link on starter solenoid on left frame rail beside engine.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I hope you have downloaded the service manual.  For 74-75, you need the supplement also.  Even a shop would need the information.  In 74 up, you can have the lights but no ignition.  Dodge changed the B+ (12 gauge black wire) and ACC wiring to the ignition switch in 75 such that it no longer goes through the 8 pin connector at the bottom of the steering wheel.  This was due to high failures of the pins in the connector.  You can see this change in the wiring diagram  as 74 and 75 differences.  If you have a 75 Winne it is most likely on a 74 chassis.  Check the pins in the 8 pin connector.  Just follow the ribbon cable to the 8 pin connector.

Dave
[move][/move]

TITANOSAURUS

Thanks Dave, I will let my mechanic know that when I get the chance.  I really want to drive this gas guzzling monstrosity!

TITANOSAURUS

It's alive!, the Beast is alive!, the batteries were mounted reversed but not crossed, my brother in law put the batteries in the correct way and he fixed some wires that came loose, he was turning in over and it couldn't start.

I was glad I had power on the dash and the fact I could crank over the engine was cause for celebration. I took the air filter top off and sprinkled fuel on the carburetor, I also put $30 dollars of gas on the Main Tank & Auxiliary Tank via fuel containers.
Within 30 minutes I had the monster running, I had to let the engine warm up for 30 minutes because the engine was not running for 5 years. Once the 440 was nice and warm I put the beast in 1st gear and it moved , within minutes I was driving the Winnebago Indian.
Thanks for your input, but I still need to replace engine belts, one manifold gasket, brakes front and back, carpet has to be removed , hardwood floors installed.

When I complete the project , I will put custom rims and radical paint job on this Machine and share pictures, it will be unlike any Winnebago ever seen, totally freaky!. 

Oz

Awesome outcome!  So good to hear of yet another vintage RV resurrection.  Good job  :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Well done  :)ThmbUp but don't make us wait until she's done. Share the experience with us. That's half the fun of this group,fallowing along as members bring their rigs back to life.

TITANOSAURUS

Correct bring the Winnebago Back to life will take patience , creativity, & good old hard work and lots of CASH. I am already getting remarks like " what in the heck is that!", or " Look at that thing, it looks like an Ice cream truck on Steroids!", and " Wow this thing looks like it came from a Movie and into my reality!", and " What the ^*^*&8 is that!".

It's all good and I will continue my Winnebago Crusade until it's done!.

BigSarge

Quote from: 1oleman on May 02, 2010, 01:36 PM
Could be fusible link on starter solenoid on left frame rail beside engine.
I have the same problem....I put in new batteries and accidentally put cables on wrong terminals for a second or two. Now no ignition. I have a 1976 Diplomat II. Class A on Dodge chassis. The panel inside now reads both batteries are good. The generator starts and runs from inside. Everything is works fine except the ignition is dead as a doornail......Is the above link what I should check first? Any other suggestions before I crawl underneath this beast?
YOU EAT LIFE OR LIFE EATS YOU.

4winds

Sounds as if you have blown one or both fusible links.  If your's is like mine (81 Executive), they should be on left frame rail under drivers side.  I can barely see mine from doghouse, but from underneath it's do-able.  Hope this helps  Ed

DaveVA78Chieftain

Need clarification.  When you say ignition:
Do you mean starter will not turn engine or
Do you mean starter turns engine and you get no ignition spark.
No spark most likely means you blew the ignition module.
Starter not turning points to fusible link in this case

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Starter Relay, this is what it  looks like, in the first picture and this is what it looks like from under neath.

BigSarge

As in it ran and started fine prior to me crossing up the cables. Now there is no power at the dash. I turn the key and there is nothing.  No starter, no cranking no electricity....Radio wont come on.  Ill look again but The fuses under the dash were all fine. Thanks for all the advice, now I just need the rain to stop lol

DaveVA78Chieftain

As shown in the drawing, the fusible link is located at the Starter Relay.  A fusible link is a section of smaller gauge wire.  In this case, it's 14 gauge that is connected to 10 Gauge wire.  It's purpose is to open if the current draw is to high.  You will have to replace the fusible link.

[move][/move]

BigSarge

Thanks for diagram! Ill post up results......

DaveVA78Chieftain

And go to the store here and spend the measly $14.95 for a 76-77 Service manual.  Has the chassis wiring diagrams and a whole lot more.  Will save hours and hours of headaches.  You will not find a better price for it.

Dave  :)
[move][/move]

BigSarge

Yeah I saw that and will invest. Perfect advice from 1oleman. Perfect diagram from Dave. She started right up. Thanks!!

acenjason

Speaking of the 8 pin plug. Them failing is no joke. Mine caught fire when I moved the steering wheel back. Didn't spread just smelled bad and made the rig shut down until rewired. But fire bad! $@!#@!