Is a '72 318 Timing Chain Cover the same as a '74?

Started by LJ-TJ, April 27, 2010, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Just sent my engine in for over haul. I'm using a 1972 block for the rebuild. There is currently a 1974 block in the Bago now. Seems to be some debate as to whether the timing chain cover from a 1972 318 is the same cover as a 1974. Are they the same?  Any help on this one would be appreciated. Thanks Guys. T.J.

LJ-TJ

There is a Number on the front of the timing chain cover. Is that a part number or a casting number?  Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

WIll this help?
http://stevensparts.com/TIMING%20COVER.htm#Chrysler

Parts manual:
2899580 or
3769964 (w/low water pump mount)  [This is the one you can find on google]
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Hey Dave thanks for taking the time to respond. I cant figure it out. I guess I'll drive the bago up to the machine shop and  let Mick see what's, what's. I thought all 318 timing chain covers were the same. On my cover the timing chain mark was on the left side of the cover and seprate. On the one in your pictures it looks like there built in and on the right side. Tried but couldn't find the one on google. Thanks again T.J.

ibdilbert01

Sounds like you have the same timing cover I have, no marks in the casting.   The timing marks are on a seperate peice to the left.    Both timing covers are interchangable.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

LJ-TJ

Sweeeeww  Ya apparently there is another cover with a lower water pump or something. But thanks for that Dilbert I was starting to get a sweat on.  Hm?

LJ-TJ

Yes, there is a differance. One is cast and one is aluminum. One has the water pump sit hi above the engine block and the other has the water pump sit low even with the engine block. On the cast one you have to take the timing chain cover off to replace the oil seal. On the aluminum one you can chance the front oil seal with out taking the timing chain cover off. Pictures to fallow.