Do I have to stop at weigh stations?

Started by Deputy Festus, April 18, 2010, 08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy Festus

I have a '77 Winne Elandan 2.  When we travel, I was wondering if I have to stop at weigh stations? Or is it a State by State thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Trails

ibdilbert01

Currently no.   The weigh stations are for commercial vehicles.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

angrybreadbox73

To be on the safe side, make sure you know the weight of your rig.  States go by weight on wether or not ya have to have a cdl to drive them and, if ya have to have a cdl to drive it, i would pull into the weigh station just so ya dont get smokey bear chasing ya Down asking why ya didn't come in.  The have can and will do this.  I have seen it especially on the large land yachts
soo many bagos so little time

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/14/2006

NO!  You don't.
Unless you register it with Tare tags or as a for hire truck....
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Cooneytoones

Sent: 4/14/2006

As Tom said, No, you don't have to stop at commercial scales anywhere in North America....but, it would be a good idea to go to a truck stop, weigh your rig.
Do it empty first to get an idea of what your rig weighs.
This is dry weight...then return with your water, LP, camping gear, pots-pans, clothing and the rig loaded with all you are going to be traveling with. Weigh the whole rig, than weigh each axle seperatly (rt. side front, rt. side rear, lft. side front, left side rear). .This will allow you to move some stuff around in case you have too much weight to one side.......(You can be under your gross, but still have too much weight on one axle).... make sure your not over your MAX-GROSS weight & max per axle weight... Also don't forget to add the weight of ALL your passengers.....Then you will know who or what to leave behind.......thus avoiding a cridical mechanical failure or even a possible deadly situation......I see a lot of rigs on the interstate, many of them are way beyond their gross... Your rig being over-weight is not only a danger to you and all aboard, but every vehicle on the road...This can't be stressed enough, so, MOST IMPORTANTLY check your tire pressure, your tire load range, condition of your tires and weigh your rig....Then the only statistic you'll become, is a good time traveler.

Timmy

jointventure77

Sent: 4/18/2006

Can anyone pull their vehicle into a state scale and get it weighed?  If so, do they charge a fee?  Do they weigh the whole vehicle or can they break it down to axle each?  Been wanting to do it.  What if im pulling a little trailer?  Do i unhook it first?

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/18/2006

It depends on the Flow of traffic on Interstates, and it would be best to get a hold of your state DOT and ask them first(there is usually no fee, but you won't get front/rear axle weight or EW, just gross weight.) Most larger truck stops/ truck service facilities have drive on scales they can weigh you with (they might charge you), along with Rock quarries and even some landscaping stores who sell product by weight have them.

In some places in Virginia, there are drive on Scales at the local dump, they weigh you on the way in, then on the way out to determine how much trash you unloaded. You could call your local county waste/landfill and find out if you could weigh your rig there. (probably free for a county resident)

I did mine at a Truck service facility that did my State Safety Inspection. Mine (72 Brave D20RG w/318) weighed 9,850 lbs total. It was fully loaded, ready to go, but only one passenger (me). I have front and rear axle weights too, from this scale, but I can't remember those numbers right off.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Oz

Check the side-bar option, "Stops on the Weigh"  in the Member Area for a link to weigh station locations across the US.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca