Adding a Drink Console on the Doghouse

Started by TrixTret1, April 26, 2010, 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrixTret1

Sent: 7/11/2004

Does anyone have any ideas for a console to fit on the doghouse.  I have searched a bit and have come up with no ideas.

Thanks

denisondc

I have also wanted a supplement to the engine cover, not only to maybe hold a cold drink and pretzels, but to keep peoples weight off the original engine cover when they get into/out of the double front passenger seat - I don’t want it to crack. My plan is to have a 1 by 12 that spans the width of the engine cover, and sits on vertical end pieces that rest on the floor at each side of the cover. That way no extra weight on the cover, and there would be about an inch of air space, so the engine cover wont get hot under the 1 by 12. At the drivers side of the 1 by 12 would be an aluminum socket, like my conversion van has for holding its little tables. I would use a shorter post than the conversion van does, with a smaller table mounted on top of the post. Since my -console- would be an obstruction when I want to get out of the drivers seat, it needs to be something I can easily pull out and toss aside. The rest of the support would also be easy to slide backwards and off, not bolted or clipped in place. The right side of the support would be under the end of the double passenger seat, so you couldn't lift it straight up. This might not be the case if you have the single passenger seat up there.
Another factor important to me is to be able to access the engine easily and quickly. As it is I have to pivot the passenger seat 90 degrees clockwise and tilt it toward the wall, then undo 2 snaps before I can lift the engine cover. Anything I add over the engine cover has to be removable fast also. Which is why there is still nothing there after 13 years of thinking about this.
I just like to look over the engine generally each 1000 miles or so - and on vacation that can mean every other day - usually in the early morning while the engine is completely cooled off. And if its been sitting for a few weeks, I start it with the engine cover off anyway.

DanD2Soon

Brenda & Dave,

There's this one I made 3 years ago to solve the same problem aboard the 2 Soon - It cost me $8 ($4 for the table support rails at the RV store & $4 for the Formica double sink cutout at Ace Hardware - I had a spare set of hinges and some stain I used on the edges.) Sheer coincidence that we found a cutout in the same laminate pattern I had used on the dash a year earlier.

I was using a pencil to scribe the arcs to clear the captains chair arms when I stumbled into the idea that the part I was going to cut off could become the hinged leg to hold the darn thing up. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now & then!

The design is really simple with lots of ways to "make it your own" like drink holder holes or a rolled upholstery edge. It mounts & lifts off easily with one hand and folds its' leg down automatically to be only about an inch and a half thick when held by its end.

The rails are available in every RV catalog - "Table Support" $3.99, 30 inches per set, pre-drilled, and can even be cut in two to provide for two tables or allow one table to be used in two different places as we do. - I love these things! I even have a rail mounted on the outside passenger side of the MH so we can use a dinette table outside under the awning. I do mount them opposite of what the catalog shows - it's easier to "hang & drop" the table on the rail than to "raise &insert" it and this arrangement allows me to hide the mounting screws by inserting a strip of dash upholstery material (front) or white vinyl (bedroom & outside) - see pics.

Trial & error helped me find a leg length and leg mounting distance from the rail that lets us be able to use it on either the sloped doghouse or the bedroom seat. (Grandkids love using it back there to play checkers & boardgames) If you're only using it in one place the placement of the leg is even simpler - it just needs to be wide enough at the top to mount the hinges... I sanded the raw edges and wiped some stain on the ones that were exposed... done.

Later,
DanD

Oz

I was considering a van console sturdily mounted on the doghouse.  With a small handle mounted at the center rear, the two would make a good grab handle for removing the doghouse as well.  (I cut and relocated my doghouse guide on the inside of the doghouse edge to make it easier to install and clean-up the appearance). - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TrixTret1

Totally awesome.  A beautiful home for sure.  .  Will keep it in mind.

Brenda (Trix)

I hope to meet all or most as some point in time.  How tallented all are.

Jlogue88

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 8/19/2004

Jeez... now I feel like a piker!  I just put in one of those small plastic drink holder/ CD holder consoles from Auto Zone! 

OK, "Jones'", here I come! 

John

75braveabago

Sent: 7/13/2006

The PO of my rig had made a drink holder with a layer of plywood covered with ceramic tile (for doghouse heat deflection I think) then a piece of plywood with 6 drink holder size holes cut in it attached with spacers about 2 inches above the surface of the ceramic tile. Then I added a Walmart ratcheting drink-holder console thinking smack in the center of it. He had one side resting on the upper level of the doghouse and 2 shortened table legs on the front. It worked great but I improved it's stability by nailing metal carpet edge tack strip to the back edge to better grip the rug that edge sits on and then I attached two large rubber foot boots with small nuts and bolts from the inside of the doghouse so now the table legs easily fit in and out of the rubber boots for when I remove the doghouse but they keep the console from sliding for and aft when driving. You can sorta see on my photos page "75 Brave D21".
Good Luck and what ever you do, don't spill that drink! :)
Glenn

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 7/14/2006

Our dash on the Futura is a bit different than your Winnies, but we used a very simple Marine application:  Bar Bouy!  Its a cup holder that screws onto a vertical surface.  The mount stays on the verticle surface.  The cup holder itself has a gyroscopic frame that mounts to the surface mount.  It's great!  It's made for a boat at high seas!  You go around a corner, and your drink stays level!

The cage that holds your drink has a cutout for a coffee mug handle.  The Bar Bouy also comes with an insulated foam sleeve for your beverages that aren't coffee! 

If you have a vertical surface you can reach while driving or as a passenger, this is the way to go! 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Cooneytoones

Sent: 7/14/2006

I made one out of a custom van table....used the floor flange and just cut down the pipe as they are usually a little over 3 feet, I cut it down to about 14 inches...works great and is removable....

1978Chieftain

Sent: 7/15/2006

Did you buy this custom van table online?  Where?

Weavebago

Sent: 7/15/2006

I think they sell them at camping world. The Weavebago has one that is in-between the driver and passenger seat just in front of the doghouse cover only our table is flat with 2 holes for drinks. there are plastic inserts that slip into them for smaller cups you just cant get out of the seats without pulling the table top off.

Cooneytoones

Sent: 7/19/2006

Starting about 1975, Travco and all the major manufactures (Ford, GM, and Chrysler) started making customized vans with captains chair, couches, aircraft lighting, screened in or larger side windows, mural paint schemes etc. I'm sure there are a countless number of these vehicles in junk yards by now all over the place....all were made with a table that went between the two middle captains chairs.....
I had a '76 Chevy Van, done by Travco it came with two of these tables....and three floor flanges, I do believe Camping World would have them.... you can probably get the two flanges and the pipe (one for the base and one for under the table top) and a few pieces of wood and make your own at considerable savings rather than buy the whole thing new.
I have no problem getting in and out of the chairs with the table in place. this is one reason I cut the pipe lower, higher on the pipe and it would cause a problem getting in and out. You have to just judge for your own comfort on the height.

Timmy

LJ-TJ

Holy cow Timmy's still taking oxygen. It's alive, It's alive  :)rotflmao

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

Holy cow Mark's still taking oxygen. It's alive, It's alive   :)rotflmao
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!