Running a generator while you sleep. GET CO2 detectors!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, April 25, 2010, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 5/16/2005

After I installed the remote switch and hour meter for our new generator today, I fired it up and sat in the back where the bed will be.  The generator compartment is under the port side of the bed.

It is VERY quiet, and the sound insulation was done right.

Here's the FUNNY part of the story...lol.

I was laying there and a fond memory came back to me while the generator was running:

Remember those cheap hotels in the 70s where you could put a few quarters in the bed and it would vibrate?

YEP!!!  The Ark has MAGIC FINGERS!!!  hehehehehehe

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

mightybooboo

Kevin,if you are going to  run the genny while you sleep,you ABSOLUTELY MUST get a CARBON MONOXIDE monitior.
Do not argue with me in any way shape or form,many member stories here of CO poisonings to members in both Winnies and thier homes.

BooBoo

ClydesdaleKevin

Don't worry BooBoo...I won't argue!...lmao

One of my jobs as an Electronics Tech on a submarine was to monitor the atmosphere and repair the monitoring equiptment.

I fully intend to install CO, propane, and smoke detectors.

I wish we had available to civilians a monitoring system even remotely similar to what we had on submarines!

We used what they call a CAMS unit.  Its a computerized system that has tubing that goes to all places, high and low, on a sub.  These tubes connect to "sniffers", and samples of the air are sent to the unit.  The computer analyzes all atmospheric content, and tells you exactly where, when, and why there are any problems.

I'll just have to settle for a bunch of little remote 9 volt units...lol.

I also have an exhaust pipe extention that came with the generator.  It slides on to the tailpipe of the unit, and sticks out about 2 feet. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Cooneytoones

Kev ..Booboo's right don't argue.....CO detector a must, even a good idea for winter use for furnace......also look into a stack for exaust...Lets exaust vent above the roof, comes as a removable pipe extension kit, easy to install and telecopes to  put away. Not very expensive. Camping World has them.....
Timmy

ClydesdaleKevin

mightybooboo

Also a problem if the guy next do you is venting  his genny into your rigs air supply.Read about a case where guy pulled next to sleeping  family,they either died or almost died,I forget,but either way,that stinks.

BooBoo

HeavyHaulTrucker

A co2/ fire alarm was added to the RVIA code specs several years, but that only applies to RV's constructed new.  I think there is also something in the NFPA code, but I am not sure.

John

Cooneytoones

Slantsixness

Sent: 5/17/2005

Kev,

Regardless of the detectors, exhaust pipe extensions, and any other novelty items that will keep the air in the  Ark clean, YOU MUST SEAL THE GENNY BOX COMPLETELY By that I mean paint the box with a sealant, seal all the edges with nothing less than lots of silicone, and be sure to check the generator hot air outlet for blockage (mud wasps), not to mention sealing the windows above and around the Genny

And....

NEVER NEVER NEVER

GO TO SLEEP FOR THE NIGHT WITH THE GENERATOR ON, NOT EVEN BY ACCIDENT

That's what your coach batteries are for. If you can't be hooked to shore power, give up the air conditioning for the night.

The life you save may be your own.

There are hundreds of cases of brain damage, death, carbon monoxide poisoning and other medical problems attributed to improper use of motorhome generators. These things are only "so" safe, and the safety instructions should tell you that.

I'm posting this not necessarily for your (Kev's) benefit, since it's clear that you understand what it means (like when somebody burns something in the Galley and the smell permeates every corner of  the Sub in 10 minutes, or forgot how to "flush" the head..eeww...!)

Nonetheless I think for safety reasons we should all take "Extreme Care of the Air in There" and this needed to be said.

Tom <-------likes fresh air!
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

denisondc

Sent: 5/21/2005

I dont know that my genset box is sealed completely, but I know its got a large vented door, and the windows of the motorhome are far from sealed. The engine exhaust comes out below it, pointed diagonally away from the back corner of the RV. The engine cooling air outflow blows the engine exhaust in the same away-from-the-motorhome direction.
I have slept with the genset running overnight on plenty of occasions. There isnt any battery system that is going to run the roof a.c. for any useful length of time.
We have camped near the coast of the Gulf of Mexico where there were no hookups, and the air temp at 9 p.m. was 95f, the humidity very high, and in the morning the air was down to 82f and even more humid. The entire outside of the winny sides, all glass, etc., being wet from condensation. Without the genset running we would have had no sleep at all.
I expect I will add a co detector, but will continue to use the genset as I need it. I dont think the co is going to collect in my RV to any extent; there are plenty of air leaks as it is.

firebug911

Sent: 5/30/2005

We have a co detector and a smoke detector.  We just got back from the Memorial weekend trip to the river and the generator was never turned off... Ran for 3 1/2 days straight, and we had another trailer that we let plug in to our gen and powered there a/c also.  We just parked where the exhaust was blowing down wind and no problems here, There were no other campers for 2000 yards in any direction. It would have run longer but it ran out of gas, about the time we were getting ready to go, and it only used about 1/2 qt of oil and about 25 gal of gas

lost00

I have no CO2 Detectors on my Winnebago  beacuse i am totally deafness  cant hear any sound..  i tired find store for CO2 Detectors with flash light
there is no products come with 12 volt or battery only must have 120 volt to run on special CO2 Detectors w flash light  :(

TerryH

Really bothered me to hear you have no detector/s on board as you cannot hear the alarm.
Your
" there is no products come with 12 volt or battery only must have 120 volt to run on special CO2 Detectors w flash light"
  comment is even more bothersome.
Most detectors used in RV's are either 12V or battery operated.
Virtually every one available alarms thru a beep beep beep sound, and most newer ones (as do mine) also flash a light at the same time.
Regardless of what you have it would be very simple for either you, a friend, or someone to wire in an LED colored bulb to replace the audio alarm.
Please don't take this wrong.
It bothers the hell out of me that someone - anyone is not protected by smoke/CO/ propane alarms.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

eXodus

My smoke alarm reminds me every-time, I do bacon and eggs, to turn on the roof vents.  :)clap

And I think It's a CO detector, Carbon Monoxide.  Which is highly dangerous and produced by a running engine

CO2 is not deadly, or only in very very high concentrations. Even if you vent the generator exhaust directly into the livingspace the CO kills you long before the CO2 gets a problem.

at lost:
look at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Eton-ARCBBCO10W-Alarming-Three-In-One-Flashlight/dp/B00MYG82RQ

Rickf1985

When he says "flashlight" he is meaning a "strobe" light for the alarm, not a regular flashlight to see by.

DonD

Neat if someone could hook up a vibrating device to place under the mattress?
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

lost00

i have Strobe and Vibration under matress run on 120 volt at my home..  but 12 volt they dont make Strobe or Vibrate for Carbon Mox Alarm  :(

but. i am not sure if it will work use power inventor plug to Ac to Dc on battery during only sleep night and no idea if battery will hold last longer during night? if alarm come then Strobe will flash 60 min in 1 minute will hold on battery???   

TerryH

Again, there are numerous CO and Smoke detectors/alarms available in 12V. And again, the ones I use utilize a dual alert system - sound and light. Both "vibrate" in strobe mode.
And again, no reason why you should not be able to adapt one (or more) to a LED light-colored should that help-operating from the vibrate/strobe/oscilate  system that is utilized in the basic inherent components of a store bought unit.
Also again, very concerned that you appear to not have required alarm functions.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

lost00

i just read Yahoo News about 1 Adult and 7 Kids died from Carbon Monoxide at trailer house from Generator running .
http://news.yahoo.com/police-adult-7-children-found-dead-maryland-home-222002677.html
that scary me.. i am going remove Generator from under of my Winnebago Motorhome and not worth it ... will do Portable Gernerator 15 foot away from RV that better safe...

M & J

In that case, the father had a gennie running in the kitchen, because his power was turned off. Common sense with a CO detector makes them safe as long as they are maintained and the exhaust is properly routed. Removing yours if its working seems extreme, but do what feel suits your needs. But your furnace produces CO, your refer can if its run on propane, your water heater and of course your stove/oven. Might as well be back camping in a tent if you're going to eliminate all possible sources of CO from your coach. Then theres the chassis exhaust system........
M & J

ibdilbert01

Those people were running their generator inside their home, in their kitchen.  A little bit of common sense goes a long way... 

I agree with the above statement.  Make sure your exhaust is installed in a way that the exit fumes leave from underneath your RV and keep a CO detector installed and you'll stay clear of the dirt nap.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Rick Shaw

I don't understand why CO detectors do not come with optional strobe or light source.   I have a smoke detector in my home that is probably over 10 years old that has the light included in it.  In other words, when the detector is going off, a very bright light comes on.