Sevin-10 dust bug killer.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, April 10, 2010, 07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sevin is an insecticide that comes in a dust form, so you spinkle it around your campsite and yard to kill fleas, scorpions, ants of all kinds INCLUDING fire ants, and a lot of other kinds of bugs.  If you want it to work even more quickly, water it in with a sprinkler.

Sevin is safe for kids, adults, and pets!  That is the reason we use it and no other insecticide in our campsite whenever we are in fireant country or a flea infested area.

It takes a few days for it to kill all fire ants in the area, even if you sprinkle it on the mound...but it DOES kill them.  And again, unlike the other faster acting ant killers and insecticides, it is safe for your pets!  It is SO safe for your pets that you can even sprinkle it directly into their fur to kill fleas as a flea powder!  We use Frontline so we don't do that, but its nice knowing its that safe.

And Sevin has been around so long that its CHEAP!

I give this product 5 thumbs up out of 5!
:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Don't sprinkle that on any animal that would be able to lick off itself.  In the right concentrations Sevin (contains Carbaryl) can cause very distressing liver and neurological problems in Vertebrates.  I stay away from it because it kills beneficial insects as well as the  bad ones (it's especially devastating to Honey Bees)

http://www.backedbybayer.com/lawn-and-landscape-management/insecticides/sevin-sl/msds  Pay particular attention to the "Environmental Precautions" listed in section 12 "Ecological Information".

In 1980, five years after the Environmental Protection Agency launched a special review over concerns about Carbaryl's safety, the review was abruptly ended--a political and economic decision, according to Dr. Janette Sherman of Alexandria, Va., then a member of the EPA's Advisory Committee on Toxic Substances.

You're right that it will kill faster if you spray it with water after applying. In fact most instructions on using the stuff says to do so after application.

Here hare a couple of cool links that has some information on alternatives to chemical warfare. Lol.. 

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/alternatives/factsheets/index.php
http://watoxics.org/healthy-living
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

You never been to Muskogee, Oklahoma obviously...lol!  I would never sprinkle on our German Shepherds...they get Advantix now, and Veterinary grade tick collars in Oklahoma.  Sorry if it sounded like it was okay to sprinkle on your pets...that is NOT what I meant.  But in a high infestation area like Oklahoma, we do sprinkle it in our "yard" when we first get to camp and water it in, then put down the porch mats.  Chiggers and ticks and whatnot are no joke in Oklahoma in May.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Indeed. 
Folks at one point were dusting there pets with it though.  Not surprised given the year it was discovered and produced.

And yeah, Oklahoma, and a lot of the south east, is one of the worse places for ticks.

BTW Remember that pesticide train accident in Bhopal, India in 1984? That killed 10's of thousands of people?  The chemical used to make Carbaryl called methyl isocyanate was the culprit there.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Rickf1985

If you think the ticks and chiggers are bad in the southeast then take a trip to the northeast, home of Lymes disease! We have these wonderful little ticks that are the size of a pin head and give you that nasty disease. And it does not always respond to antibiotics, ask me how I know! We use the highest concentration of DEET spray you can get and the ticks STILL go through it. I agree with the killing of the beneficial insects along with the bad, you will also kill the commen ants, grubs and worms that aerate the soil so things will grow. That in turn poisons the birds that eat those bugs. Pesticides are good when used in the right context but if everyone dusted their area all the time there would be little left but barren dirt and no wildlife. Not much of a camping experience.