Steering arm play?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, April 06, 2010, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

What would make the steering knuckle, the whole apparatus that comes off the control arm including the hub assembly and rotor, have a little play in it?  When I was adjusting the wheel bearing today on the passenger side of the RV, I noticed a small amount of play in the assembly.  There isn't any play in the driver's side assembly.

Any ideas, and it is something I can adjust with the tie rod hoobie?  I don't want to mess with it until I know.

And I do get some road wander and play.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Mark pointed me in the right direction, http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?page=page558#steeringlinkage , and it appears I have nothing to worry about!  There is WAY less than a 1/2 inch of play at the tire diameter, less than 1/8 inch...I was just being overcautious. 

There can be a SMALL amount of play...have someone hold the brake pedal down while you check it to eliminate the wheel bearings. 

That link is a great dummy-guide for dummies like me to check things out in the steering to make sure its safe and within specs.  Its only 4 pages long and covers the whole system, with a troubleshooting guide.

Thanks again Mark!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.