Light Switch Function?

Started by dankoozer, April 23, 2009, 09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanK

Sent: 2/25/2006

Just inside my door, on the left of my '75 Indian D23 there are two switches that look like household-type switches.

One operates the porch light. The other one doesn't seem to do anything when I switch it. What is it's function?

Thanks,

Dan

denisondc

I know that on the earlier winnies, like my 72, the other switch -that you could easily reach before you stepped up inside-, operated the front ceiling light. The wires ran up the wall and there was a plastic 'boot' at the wall-to-roof angle. This was where the wires connected for that ceiling light.
Good luck on finding a coach wiring diagram. Mine had the original one, and I cant say its been useful. The detail isn't there. I still have to guess where wires go.

My genset would start and stop using the 'momentary' toggle switch on the top of the generator, but not from the dashboard. The wires for that function were corroded under the chassis and behind the dashboard. I also opened up the control box atop the genset and cleaned up the wiring in there.

Cooneytoones

Dan.......if you turn your over head lights on in the living/Galley area.....leave the switches on the lights on.....I think you'll find that switch turns the lights on and off so you don't have to turn the switches on the  lights on & off.....but the interior lights the switch (on the lights themselves) has to be in the on position for that switch to work.

Timmy

Rick Shaw

I believe Timmy is correct Dan.   This was a very helpful addition to the motorhome.  You could control turning the lights on inside your coach before you enter it.   It is a lot easier at night to turn the lights off or on just by reaching inside your coach.   But the most important thing to remember as Timmy said.......your inside coach light fixture must always remain in the on position.
Rick

another1bytesTHEduss

Sent: 2/27/2006

I also have a similar set up,however the porch light switch is separate.Then the other two are for inside,I believe,one of them hasn't turned anything on yet ,that is the one you may be searching for but,the other one is for the ceiling lights,It only seems to work off the 2nd battery tho.And also like they said if it's little switch is "on"

DanK

Sent: 2/28/2006

I tried turning the coach lights on and then switching the bottom switch by the door to no avail. I don't see any function when switching this switch.

Again, the top switch operates the porch light. It works perfectly.

Dan

denisondc

It could be yours is wired differently, in which case I don't know what the 2nd switch might operate.
But its just as likely that someone has changed the wiring. During construction the walls were built on a large bench, complete with the wiring that was to run in them, then carried to the chassis and installed.
Later the roof would be built on a large bench, complete with the wiring needed for the lights, etc. and carried over and set into place atop the walls. Then they had to hook the wall wires to the ceiling wires.
Find that connection - probably inside a cabinet - and you should be able to check whether the wires from the switch are still where they can control that ceiling light.

denisondc

Its also possible the switch went bad and was bypassed.

The_Handier_Man1

On my '73 Indian I had a wire in the wall between the stove hood and the light switch come apart.  Then I  had no power to the stitches at all. Those wires ran inside the walls from the back to the front about 3" below the roof.  There are black plastic covers inside the upper cabinets that covered the plug in connections for the wall to roof wires. There is one light mounted to the ceiling over the table in mine that is connected to a light switch . You could always E-Mail me and since you live in Oregon I might stop by to help,   Les

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/25/2006

Denison is right...ANY switch, outlet, etc. on our old rigs might have been bypassed/jerry-rigged at any time in the past...I have had MANY incidents in my 1971 Ark where I had to replace and repair many Previous Owner (P/O) errors in the electrical, plumbing, and other systems.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

kd4pbs-1

Sent: 6/27/2006

Would you PLEASE stop flipping that switch on & off trying to figure out what it goes to?!! It's hard to go to sleep with my ceiling lights going on & off constantly!

Oz

Sent: 6/27/2006

Yeah, and my neighbor's garage door keeps banging on the hood of his car.... up... down... BANG!  Up... down... BANG!...

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

thebluesliner

Sent: 5/24/2008

In my cupboard beside the door above the switch there is a plastic cover with the wire ends coming from the light switch as well as a 12V power wire and the wires that supply the roof interior light. My particular Winnebago was not using this switch so I installed a porch light and I wired mine so the switch works the porch light . I use the switch thats on the side of the interior roof light to power it. I suspect anybody with two switches all the connections can be made here as well

Beachcomber

Don't know if you've resolved this yet, but I have a 1974 Chieftain with the 440 motor, and it has the same switch layout. I doubt there is any change in function in a one year time frame, and whether it works or not (wiring connections/bulbs burned out), I'm betting that the suggested purposes/uses of the switches are one for outside light, one for the battery powered light in the middle of the kitchen area. Anything becomes a possibility when diagnosing 36 year old electrical problems.

ClydesdaleKevin

I have a single light switch by the door, and one by the bed.  The both operate the porch light...and little courtesy lights near the floor...sort of like little night lights so you can see just enough to walk to the head at night.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

I marked this topic solved.  As Beachcomber stated, the dual switch is for the exterior entry light and the kitchen/dinette lighting.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca