Exterior Paint Question?

Started by lacollins4, March 10, 2010, 04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacollins4

We plan on painting the front mask of the Winnebago. The sides and the back are still nice but the front is worn to where you can see some of the aluminum.  I have read the threads about using the rustoleum. We plan to use that when we do her stripes but I was wondering if it were possible to use an outdoor exterior enamel paint. It says its good on metal. Only reason I'm considering using this is so I can color match. Rustoleum only has the gloss white or the almond which neither would be a good match. I know Winnebago has a spray but we need to roller the paint on. I don't have any where I can spray the motor home. Living in Southern California, there are lots of restrictions. I have her at a storage facility up the street from the house so I think I can get away with painting her there if we use a roller. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Rogerslvnv

Any oil based enamel paint like rustoleum will do. Just stay away from Latex paints!!!! Ace hardware has a lot more color options available than rustoleum does in thier "Rust Stop"paint. I couldn't find you a color chart online, But you can get a paper one from the store by asking for it. If you are rolling on the paint it comes out super smooth if you thin it about 20% with mineral spririts and use one of those white dense foam 4" rollers and paint several coats.   

ClydesdaleKevin

Go with the gloss white Rustoleum professional paint.  The paint store can add pigment to it and match it exactly to the paint on your Winnie!

And its a GOOD paint that goes on smooth, keeps its high gloss, levels itself, and it very very durable...and you don't need to use a primer, not even over aluminum!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

lacollins4

Wow. Thanks. I didn't think they could color match with the rustoleum.I would like to keep the Winnie with the original colors.

Oz

In this group, I believe I kinda "pioneered" using Rustoleum as a relatively inexpensive yet known durable option to automotive type paints.  Didn't know how it would come out since nobody else had used it at the time.  Some 5 years later... still good to go.

I do have a mini-documentary of my repainting in the Instructional Projects category of the General Photo Albums Gallery.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep!  I used it when we painted the Ark on Mark's advice, and after seeing how awesome his paintjob on the Chariot came out...with rollers!!!  It looked professional and you couldn't tell it was applied with rollers of all things!

On the Ark we used brushes...and yes you could see some brush strokes up close...but surprisingly not that many.  And it held up and stayed glossy for the couple of years we had her after that. 

Yes, you can definately use Rustoleum Professional high gloss white as a base for light colors.  It also comes in green, black, and I believe brown as well...for painting your stripes.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

lacollins4

I saw Pharaoh's paint job on the gallery. Thought it looked great.I don't have the funds to have someone paint her plus overall, the Winnie's not too bad. Just the front mask and the stripes. I'll probalbly have someone detail the sides and the back or try to use some of the 303 Aerpspace stuff I've read about. Can't wait to paint her. Probably going to do it at our storage slot. We live in a townhouse with HOA and I'm sure they would not be pleased about painting the RV outside our place. I'm pretty sure we can do it on the sly at the storage parking place. As long as we don't spray, should be fine.

JDxeper

I color matched the 78's color by using the Dupont  color number listed in the parts manual  The auto store mixed me a small sample at no charge then I went to Wal Mart and used their color match to adjust the gloss white to the color chip I made from the auto parts store paint sample. :laugh: Any paint store can color match and adjust the Tint of the paint.  Just find someone in the store that understands what you are trying doing. If the paint can is really full some may paint may need to be remove for head space in the can to add colorant so the can does not run over. :) Hm?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Rogerslvnv

I found an electric paint spraygun (a cheapo wagner type) at Harbor frieght tools for only $20. This summer, I'm gonna spray the Winne Rustoleum professional white using that gun.  As I'm sure you know, I will post pics of it here for all of you guys to see. :)

Oz

Rustoleum is pretty thick stuff and may not atomize properly in the gun, causing it to spit droplets and clog quickly.  It will need to be thinned, but I don't know what you'd use to thin it or how much.  Because this would be the easiest, fastest and best way to get a good finish... any suggestions on what to use to thin the Rustoleum paint?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rogerslvnv

you use mineral spirits to thin rustoleum. i thinned it 20% when i roller painted my car with rustoluem black in 2007.