I get Shocked when I touch the RV!

Started by MSN Member, March 13, 2010, 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

77surveyor

Sent: 1/24/2004

when i was laying in the grass bleeding the brakes and i slightly touch the frame and the ground i get a slight tingleing should the chassis be grounded to the earth with a copper pole while on shore power , or is this a sign of other problems ?

thanks Richard

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 1/24/2004

You have a grounding problem.  RV's are actually an extension of the shore power circuit.  Earth-ground is at the main shore-power breaker (ie: the circuit breaker panel in your house).  Get one of those plug-in ground fault detectors.   It will tell you which leg has a problem.  Your going to have to do a systematic isolation to find out where the leaking current is coming from.  Could be a device (TV, etc.), a device power cord, RV appliance (ie: inverter, converter, Fridge, etc), RV wall plug, RV wiring, shore power cable or even your shore supply circuits.

Good luck,
Dave
[move][/move]

denisondc

Sent: 1/25/2004

Don't forget that dampness in your 120 volt wiring can also couple some juice into the ground. If so it might be worse after a rainy day. denison

mightybooboo

Sent: 1/25/2004

Saw a good post yesterday about a faulty GFI in his MH, it kept popping off. Owner cleaned the prongs of his shore power plug with Emory cloth and no more problem. Seems just a small amt of corrosion(not even an obvious visual  amt.) was enough to interfere with a good ground. He suggested if problem persists to check if the shore outlet had clean terminals in it also.
BooBoo

woodrivertools

Sent: 1/28/2004

Richard

You have a problem with either your rig or the shore power and trust me it need  to be repair.  First check out the power source to see if it is polarize correct and then be sure that the ground wire from the shore power is connected to your frame

BILL

77surveyor

Sent: 2/5/2004

Update .. turns out that the lawn guy had run over the house ground and cut it off at the ground that must why i lost half my electrical appliances in the last lightning storm hmm .. thanks for all your responses they were and are very helpful. Now if only someone can add spell check to this we would be happy campers : )

mightybooboo

Sent: 2/6/2004

WOW! Glad to hear you found the problem and no-one got hurt!

BooBoo