Recalibrate Speedometer or Replace it?

Started by lacollins4, March 11, 2010, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacollins4

My speedometer is mis calibrated. It rests @15mph. I would love to get it fixed but after calling several speedometer places, most said it would be hard to fix because of not having parts. I saw this on ebay today. would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220568769900&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&category=33678#ht_2519wt_1024

Froggy1936

Hi  In my opinion yes it would as the discription includes trucks of your RV year The price right now is extremly low I would wait till near the end and snipe it if the price has not gone out of reason $100.00 max  (it most likely retailed for $80.00 ) You should be able to compare yours and that one   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Another option would be to go to a junkyard that has RVs and pull the part of the instrument cluster that has the speedometer.  Just write down somewhere what your odometer read when you pulled it and what the junkyard odometer reads so you know your approximate overall mileage.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

And, you can drive at 30mph, 40mph, 50 mph, and 60mph, and have someone follow you in a car.  When you are at each speed, drive at that speed long enough for the chase car to note if you are the same number of mph off their actual speed each time.  If so, and it's 15mph off, remove the speedo and just turn the pointer back to zero.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca