Shift Cable Install

Started by Brave76, December 28, 2009, 08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave76

Ok... so I have read a bunch of posts and looks like there is plenty of info on where to find the cable. But how dificult is the install. Im a novice do it yourselfer. This weekend in the cold I bent the shift cable right at the lever by putting it into park to quickly I assume from all the other posts. I cant get the cable free. I was smart enough to figure out how un hook the cable and "shift" at the transmission by reaching thru the engine cover area.

So how dificult is it to replace the cable?  Is it just a matter of cliping one end and unscrewing the other and refeading it through?  Or do you need to make adjustments to make it all shift properly?

Is this something an rookie can tackle or should I just pay a mechanic to have it done?

Any tips or advice would be great. Thank you

PS its a dodge 440, 1976 21' brave

The_Handier_Man1

I guess this install and adj was never covered before, but here goes my experience.  Mine stuck and bent about 300 miles from home, and I removed it, oiled it and made it home where I replaced it. 

The bottom end of the cable unscrews from the clevis that connects to the trans. You do not get this clevis part with the new cable.  Then the top end, under the dash, just slips into the shift lever. 

The shift ball has a set screw.  Once removed there are some screws that hold the lever to the dash.  To adj, just put the trans into neutral and the dash lever in neutral then adj the clevis until the pin on the clevis to the trans slides in.

I hope that helps.  Just keep asking and someone will help you out.   Les

Brave76

Yes that all makes sense. The thread I found was about Navistar shift cables and I cant find where to actually purchase them. Does anybody know the length needed for the 76? I assume I can just take it out and measure it, but what about the the "throw" most cables I found it is 3" is that long enough? Thanks again for any help, my motorhome is 2 hour drive away stuck at my parents house.

Brave76

OK so i got my cable and will be installing saturday. It appears to be the standard gear selector cable. Just have one more question now before I attempt the instal. Does the cable have to be lubed somehow? If so with what and what is the proper method. Thank you

Oz

Just like old sytle motorcycle handlebar control cables, it should be lubed.  There is a tool which resembles a large hypodermic needle, except where the needle would be, there is just a small spout like on a caulking tube.  That inserts into a sort of clamp which goes on end of the cable which will be at the lowes point when installed.  The clamp goes on both the extended cable and the cable housing. 

The cable goes through the clamp fully, then you tighten the two screws in the clamp to seal it.  You put cable lube (or WD40) in the syringe, insert it into a hole in the side of the clamp, and slowly squeeze the fluid in until it comes out the other end.

You work the cable a bit and let it hang for a day to let the excess lube drip out.

You can also just spray WD40 into the cable housing, or even drip 5W30 into it.  Some people prefer graphite lube since it doesn't tend to dry up quickly nor get crud build up.  I used the graphite stuff on my bikes.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

There is a spray lube called Triflow available at most bicycle shops that is ideal for cables of all kinds...its especially formulated for cables in housings/jackets and also contains Teflon...good bike shops will usually carry the tool Mark described as well.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.