Some maintenance on the John Deere chassis

Started by RockwoodMike, February 28, 2013, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike

Hi Everyone!!
My John Deere Motor home is in need of some preventive maintenance..so to start with,I am working on all the hoses that are connected to the engine in some way or the other..First off is the power steering system..
The system has a reservoir located up high near the top of the radiator..this feeds the pump..over to the steering gear box..and then back to the reservoir..It is a combo of steel and rubber hoses and the main high pressure hose..That is the hose that really needed replacing..As you can see in the picture..
It's the one ..middle low in the pic..

The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

First off, Mill supply did not offer a replacement for it..the high pressure line. They did have the high pressure hose for the hydro boost brake
system which I bought..So I took the original hose down to NAPA to see if a custom one could be made..Then they look at this one end and said they never seen
this type of connection let alone have the fitting for it..So believe it or not, I found this adapter on E bay of all places..

This o ring connection is a 16mm-1.5mm fitting and it adapts to a standard high pressure hose fitting..With that in hand, they were able to make a hose for me

I went to 2 Napa stores and a specialty hydraulic business that did nothing but hydraulic systems..none of them had seen this unusual hose ( the old one)

The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Here is the adapter screwed into the back of the pump..I put some automatic trans fluid on the rubber ring to help it seat right

RockwoodMike

Here it is with the 3/4 inch low pressure return line and the new high pressure line..The low pressure

line is a hose type that is designed for hot oil such as this application..If you use ordinary heater hose, it will
cause the hose to harden and get brittle and could break down on the inside of the hose, contaminating the fluid..

RockwoodMike

Here is the other end..directly below the right radiator mount

RockwoodMike

So you need a section of 3/4...5/8 and 3/8 oil return hose for the steering system..that adapter has 16 mm diameter by 1.5 mm thread..which adapts to a # 6 flair end..

The type of hose and fittings were made by Gates..one end fitting was a G25170-0606 and the other was a G25200-0606..$5.10 and $4.14 respectively and 3 feet of hose at 3.43 a foot ..total 10.29  So about 20 for the total on the hose..Fair deal..

Here is the new hoses at the reservoir..It took about 40 ounces of trans. fluid to fill the system

I have seen other forums on John Deere motor homes where they are looking for the location of the serial number for the chassis..right next to the power steering reservoir..

DaveVA78Chieftain

Good to hear you git it worked out.  Thanks for posting the information as it's typically needed by someone else along the way.

Dave
[move][/move]