Heat insulating Class C Cab?

Started by gabbriellew, February 20, 2010, 09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabbriellew

I am the new owner of an 83 minnie. I live in SE Texas and it gets hot as hades here. I would like to insulate the cab over and ceiling with that quilted aluminum looking stuff and cover that with vinyl to make a sort of headliner. Is that ok or is there a better way?  I appreciate all help as I am a real newbie and will be doing this myself
Ruth

RV Mech Tech

Ruth -  in a class C the dash A/C will cool the front area for only a short time as any cooling up front gets lost in the heat of the coach body - you have one of two alternatives  -

a) if no one or no pets are in the coach area when travelling and you do not to want to keep the  coach roof  A/C running ( if equipped with an on board generator)  then section off  the cab drivers/passenger area from the back coach section with some kind of temporary wall such as a cardboard divider that can be easily removed (similar to the sunscreen you put in to block the heat from the front windshield ) and that will keep the cool air up front when you are driving-  RV's can become 'ovens' in the hot weather and this is one way to deal with this and if you do this keep a vent or two open (if you have 'Maxair' vent covers on he roof and you do  not run the generator as carbon monoxide can be pulled back into the vehicle)  to vent the heat in the coach -

b) keep the roof A/C on at the same time with the dash A/C but this can get expensive  if driving for  a long time- (gas consumption) -  insulation on the ceiling is a good idea if you can keep the cool air up front and a divider may be a practical idea- I have seen many RV owners do this  with good results and it will not cost a lot to make a divider and it is temporary and can be removed when parked and the roof A/C turned on.   :)ThmbUp

Oz

A 2 piece area divider made of heavy fabric, which can be pulled together from either side and meets in the middle would work too.  The big, class A models use these.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca