Bad to leave shore power plugged in for long periods of time?

Started by MSN Member, February 23, 2010, 12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jipjob

Sent: 10/5/2003

I was just reading one of the messages on a starter problem and someone mentioned that you should not leave your power lead from the motor home to your 110 receptacle plugged in all the time, may I ask why? I do this to leave a small heater inside my unit to keep it dry and toasty. Jipjob  PS> Maybe I should just run a cord through one of the windows but still I would like to know why this would be bad for the batteries?

HAL

Sent: 10/5/2003

If you leave the 110v plugged in all the time, your inverter will keep charging your batteries. I did this last year when I was working on the inside and forgot to unplug it all winter. When I went to use it this year I found that the batteries had boiled almost dry, and I had to replace both coach batteries. Now, when I am going to be working inside for a long time, I disconnect the Batteries. The only time I leave the batteries hooked up is about 2 days before I use the rig. That way they are fully charged when I head out.
                                                                                         HAL

denisondc

Sent: 10/6/2003

I think it depends on your particular Winny. On my 72 D22, the inverter doesn't charge the batteries, and I like the simplicity. I leave mine plugged in usually. In the summer I may run a dehumidifier there, in the winter a small heater. I don't leave a coach battery in it unless we are about to go camping, then I take one of the older batteries from a family car. Sometimes I don't even leave the engine battery in - I put in one of the family cars to get my use out of it before it dies of self-discharging. denison

melyash

Sent: 10/28/2003

Denison, you need to get more use out of your MH!

Matt

hickup

I have wondered the same thing.  How can you tell if your inverter charges your batteries or not?  My batteries are new so I haven't been able to tell.  I would like to know if my Winni does charge them as I won't have to buy new ones again...

ibdilbert01

You could use a volt meter.   Unplug the rig and check the voltage at the battery(s) with your volt meter, then plug your rig in and check again.    I would imagine that if your charging you should see voltage of 13v+.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!