Early M-300 Chassis Rehab (pre-Feb. '71) - 8 Lug Budd - Project Plan

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 13, 2008, 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanD2Soon

Sent: 10/13/2006 8:15 PM

Early M-300 Chassis Rehab (pre-Feb. '71) - 8 Lug Budd, 10,000 Max.GVW, 413-1, 159" WB, Spicer 70 rear (4.10 ratio). 

Project Photo Link =   Early M-300 Chassis Rehab (pre-Feb. '71) - 8 Lug Budd (https://www.flickr.com/photos/31522832@N08/collections/72157630832371942/)
My plan is to disassemble nearly everything first as that will give me access to the "Deepest" problem areas;  and then reassemble from the Inside-Out.
(i.e. the exhaust manifolds will be easier to replace with the Hubs/Drums, Shock mounts, Master Cylinder, A/C Compressor, etc. out of the way.)
So the list is in more-or-less Alphabetical order & the project will be in more-or-less Layer order.

TO DO LIST!

Brakes
    Front 12 1/2 x 2" drums - Replace wheel cylinders, springs, adjusters,  reline as needed
    Rear 13 x 2 1/2" drums - Replace wheel cylinders, springs, adjusters,  reline as needed
    Boosters - Check, Rebuild, Adjust as needed
    Lines & Hoses - Replace as needed
    Master Cylinder - Replace MC , Flush system, refill with DOT 5.1 & Bleed.
    Parking - Rebuild & Adjust

Engine
    A/C Compressor - Remove & Install correct Fanbelt
    Cooling - Radiator, Water Pump, Belts
    Wiring - Clean up, Neaten & Replace as needed
    Carburetor - Rebuild/Replace
    Tune up - plugs, points, condenser / Distributor parts as needed 

Electrical
    Engine Wiring - Clean up, Neaten & Replace as needed
    Chassis Wiring - Clean up, Neaten & Replace as needed
    Battery Bank - Check, clean contacts, Replace Batts if/as needed
    Kohler Genset - Rehab/Rebuild

Exhaust
    Manifolds cracked - Replace
    Exhaust Pipes - Rework/Replace
    Heat Shields - Reinstall/Fabricate

Fuel System
    Gas Guages - fix
    Lines & Filters - Replace
    Old Selector Valve - Remove

Hubs
    Modify for Aluminum Wheels - Replace ALL 32 Lug studs and Nuts with longer, Right hand threaded ones.
    Wheel Bearings - Clean, Repack/Replace as needed & Reinstall
    Wheel Seals - Replace

Plumbing - Drain System & Holding tanks - Repair/Replace as needed

Rear End - Drain, Clean Housing & Axle Tubes, Replace gaskets and gearlube

Steering - Gearbox & Toe in - Check & Adjust

Suspension - Shocks - Replace

Transmission - Cooler Radiator - Flush, check lines & replace as needed

Sent: 10/14/2006 7:13 AM

Dan! Just spent the last while looking over your web-site. Woow those are some great photos. If a chap was at all hesitant about trying to work his brakes,looking at your photos would certainly give him the confadance to try. Please,please keep up the excellent photo diary I know many of the C.W. members will be very gratefull. Thanks.

T.J.
I have cometted the ultimate sin. I found a local garage that is presently pulling my 318 to be zero timed. I'll let you know how we make out for cost. Geeeeeez.

Sent: 10/15/2006 7:48 AM

Very cool pictures and a good example of clean workmanship.

Sent: 10/15/2006 9:01 AM

Why are you removing the fuel tank selector valve instead of replacing it?

Sent: 10/15/2006 4:27 PM

Thanks for the kudos on the pictures.  I've long admired the great project threads and photo journals here on CW.  (what Sob refers to as "Picumentaries")   I'm constantly amazed at the difficulty of the projects our members tackle,  the conditions they're working under AND their swiftness at getting it accomplished -  And they give us pictures Too - Dazzling!   

But, it seems like most of my projects have been spur-of-the-moment repairs or Git-R-Done-&-Git-Goin sorts of things  that I never think about getting "before" or "during" pictures of... and then its too late.  Don't know who said it, but as the saying goes "When you're rear end deep in aligators, its hard to concentrate on draining the swamp!" 

T.J. - No sin,   I'd have to have count on someone else and pay them for major engine work and I have NO IDEA where I'd go or who I'd use around here.   I'm envious of anyone who has found someone they feel they can trust for such work.

Nick - Although I'm afraid I overthink & overdo the organized & orderly thing to the point of being anal, its the way I like to work.  For 30+ years I've had to do things under the shade tree on a tarp in the rain with the ants,  so I tend to put them off way too long!   Now that I have space to work and the time to do it at my own pace, I feel an obligation to do it well and get it right.   Its also a Payback, Payforward kind of dues I feel is owed the Administrators, diehard Contributors, and Members here within the CW family - A chance to help others as they've helped me to keep from making the same mistakes or having to "reinvent the wheel."

Ron - I'm just removing the OEM manual Fuel selector valve and unused lines.  Old Fuel Valve that was abandoned when I reworked the  Fuel system a few years ago.

Thanks for the replies, keep watch, more, later,
DanD

DanD2Soon

The photos that were in the photo link posted with this Project Plan are no longer on Webshots
They are now on Flickr at this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31522832@N08/sets/72157629423852717/
No membership or registration or fees are required to view or download the shot you need!

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca