Homemade RV macerator pump

Started by RV Mech Tech, January 08, 2010, 10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RV Mech Tech

Here is another website that has a lot of interesting stuff on it and they have some RV articles as well - one is for a homemade macerator pump for your RV black tank  made from a kitchen sink garbage disposal unit. 
www.steampunkworkshop.com
In the search box, type in:  "diy-rv-macerator-pump" and the link will come up for that article.  They have a few other RV related articles as well, and lots of other interesting mechanical/technical stuff. 

mightybooboo

RV Mech Tech

Your welcome and thanks for the direct link - check out the other stuff on that site as they have lots of interesting items!   :)

rcaircraftnut

Im thinking I may try to build one of these. Ive been looking at macerator pumps and they are expensive.

RV Mech Tech

Let us know if you do and some pics would be nice !   :)ThmbUp

Lefty

Thanks for the article, looks like an easy and very inexpensive project that has a lot of potential.
I've been camped at sites before where the sewer hook ups were located in less than desirable locations, elevation-wise... This would be an excellent cure for that problem.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Shawn62

I saw this post sometime ago and it got me thinking.  I watched a couple YouTube videos on the subject. I looked at the ready made 12 volt versions also. I came across a new, never used installed garbage disposal at a moving sale for $5.  It was a 1/2 horse model. Previous owner said he bought it and 6 months late he tried to install it.  Turns out it did  not fit his sink and he lost the receipt.

I used a 3ââ,¬Â rubber fernco coupler to attach a right angle elbow clear connector.  I ground off the locking lugs on the male end.  I used a straight 1 1/2ââ,¬Â outlet on the disposal and adapted it down to connect to 1 1/4 sump pump hose.

I connect the macerator directly to my RV sewer outlet. I pumped the sewage into a dedicated IBC tote on my truck.  I can drain the tote into a dump station or a septic tank.  The disposal pushes/lifts the sewage up an elevation of at least 7 feet.

This system comes in handy when dry camp for extended periods of time at antique tractor and engine shows. We donââ,¬â,,¢t have to break camp to dump the tanks. I usually pump out a couple friends tanks at the same time since the tote is 275 gallon capacity.

Rickf1985

Boy they must LOVE you at the dump station!!! 275 gallons?!!!!

Shawn62

I am the only one there.  I use the dump station in the evening. Most people use it in the morning after breaking camp.  She drains fast.  2 inch full port valve. Especially compared to the newbies trying to remember the proper procedure.

tmsnyder

This is great, now I just need to carry along one hose.  After using it to fill my potable water tank I can pump out my black water tank with the DIY macerator!   Thanks!

Always looking for ways to save space!

joanfenn

What am I missing here?  You are going to use the same hose for both fresh water and your sewage?  You do this only once I hope. ???

Rickf1985

Ah, Just rinse it out a couple times, It will be fine. :)rotflmao

Rickf1985

I use one of my old water hoses for my macerator but I have red and black electrical tape intertwined on both ends so I KNOW it is not to be used for water!

legomybago

Quote from: tmsnyder on July 25, 2019, 09:02 AM
This is great, now I just need to carry along one hose.  After using it to fill my potable water tank I can pump out my black water tank with the DIY macerator!   Thanks!

Always looking for ways to save space!

Hey, the FMC came factory with a "Waste Destruct" system....hint hint :)
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

Was that the one that fed into the exhaust?

BrandonMc

on my trips, it seems to all just turn to liquid even without the chemicals?  i??

tmsnyder

Rick gets my sick sense of humor :)

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 25, 2019, 03:45 PM
Ah, Just rinse it out a couple times, It will be fine. :)rotflmao

Rickf1985

legomybago

legomybago

BrandonMc

um wow, it seemed like you guys were joking about the waste injector into exhaust. guess not!!!

Did that thing ever clog the exhaust with poop? Wonder what the muffler shops thought when they "got a load" of crap coming at them.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: BrandonMc on August 05, 2019, 04:19 PM
um wow, it seemed like you guys were joking about the waste injector into exhaust. guess not!!!

Did that thing ever clog the exhaust with poop? Wonder what the muffler shops thought when they "got a load" of crap coming at them.

LOL!  There was another system which was interesting that was basically a propane fired incinerator, and when you drove along on the highway, your waste tank would slowly drain into the incinerator and exit your rig as ash behind you while you drove along.  I forget what they were called, or if they were efficient or not using propane. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 05, 2019, 08:35 PM
Was that the Incinolet?

Sounds familiar...but I'm not sure.  I just wouldn't want to be the guy on a motorcycle or in a convertible behind an RV using such a system...lol! 
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

For those who just have the need to know!   :P

[move][/move]