Air Tabsâ„¢ Increase Fuel Mileage, and More!

Started by Froggy1936, November 18, 2009, 06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

My mileage increased from 9.8 to 11 on a trip from North Wales to Pittsburgh on the same road with the same load after I installed Air Tabsâ,,¢. 

You can watch a video of wind tunnel tests and get all the info @ www.airtabs.com 

Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Froggy1936

NOTE:  I installed them backwards.   D:oH!  When I contacted Air Tabs, they stated they would be about 80% efficient and this is a common mistake.  Removal would probably destroy them as I added a screw and caulked teach one for security   W% Frank  Pics to follow

Froggy1936

I used 56 Airtabs spaced at the Max 4 in centers   Frank

Froggy1936

On current trip from North Wales to Carlisle (Thanksgiving dinner @ relatives)  MPG was 10.75 @ 55 MPH  Then on bal of trip to Pgh i kicked the speed up to 60 (RPM @ 3000) and MPG dropped to 8 MPG 5 MPH difference,( dropped 2.75 MPG) Frank

Froggy1936

Another added benefit of Air Tabs, If you tow a vehicle behind your Motorhome they will help keep it cleaner , This is especially helpful with Diesels to keep the exhaust residue off the windshield of the toad.  -  Frank

Oz

Now that you've been using them over a good distance, can you figure any value to gas mileage increase?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

The last two fillups have produced a 10.5 MPG @ 59 MPH  average down here in the south along the coast its pretty level  I am grossing 11400 lb running the 10 ply radial tires at frt 75 lb rears @ 80 lb  due to being overloaded by 400 lbs I am going to remove the bug shield and see if that helps  I cant run at 55 due to R/R tire  has a out of balance condition  (must have thrown a weight)   So run at 49 MPH or 59 MPH  These are without useing the HO generator at all   will keep ya posted   Frank

Oz

Alrighty, Frank - can you verify if the investment is worth the return?

ClydesdaleKevin

Yeah, we'd be very interested in this as well!  Especially with all the long trips we make!

They aren't cheap, at 2.75 each or 220.00 per 100, so we'd love to know if they would be worth it in the long run.  You need 3 per foot, so if our RV is approximately 10 feet high from bottom to top, and 8 feet across, we'd need enough to do 28 feet, or 28x3=84.  84x2.75=231.00, so for us we might as well get the kit of 100 and have some extras left over. 

Let us know what you think Frank!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

They definatly do help . But would i spend the $ and the time again ?  Yes and install them correctly . They are no problem after installation And they do help with drag & keep rear window clear in the rain  Frank

Oz

Thank you, Sir.  I do recall visiting the website and reading the info.  This may be a very sensible addition for those who do some mileage on the open highway.

GONMAD

WOW Guy's   THIS should be headline news!  Working with Air foils & wings has taught me a lot about the thin liquid we exist in. I think this product should be STANDARD equipment just for the safety aspect. Air dams & wings have a place for safety & the mileage increase is a constant meaning put them on & forget about it! Insomuch as mileage decrease quantifies above 45 mph ( I can't drive 55) it really pisses people off when you drive slow on a main interstate or highway to save fuel keeping up will be greatly appreciated by fellow motorists. Anything requiring NO maintenance after install is great! Tie these in with a Panhard bar & the ride should be easier on the STRESS factor thereby extending cruise time No more "Wagging the dog" means a more pleasurable driving experience. GOOD FIND!  Thanks for the info!