Winnebago Disc Brake Trivia

Started by 911rs1, November 13, 2008, 12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

911rs1

Sent: 4/18/2006 4:32 AM

What year did Winnebago start using front disc brakes? Thank you

Oz

Sent: 4/18/2006 5:08 AM

Winnebago began installing them in '73 and they became the standard for the '74 model year.  Prior model years had front drums.

My '73 M40 (mfg in 11/73) has them, and my '74 RM 350 (also mfg in 11/73) had them.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

brakeparts

Sent: 4/18/2006 6:09 AM

I think that the answer may be 1971 - that's the first year Dodge started disc brakes on their one ton vans - you could get a C-class mini-motorhome then with disc brakes, right?

Is this a trick question?

Then again, Ford started with one ton disc brakes on the pickup truck line in 1968...but not for the P-series. (hmmm...)

Of course, we all know that the firmest date would be 1973 - that year the class A's came with disc brakes for sure!

Regards,

Geoff

911rs1

Sent: 4/18/2006 6:49 AM

No trick question. I might look at a 1971 or 1972 (the owner could not recall) in a couple of days. Really want a disc brake model. Thanks for the info.

That's what I thought. I looked at a 1974 that does. Had a call on a 1971 or 1972 (the owner could not remember) Really want a front disc model. Thank you

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/18/2006 7:06 AM

Disc brakes appeared in 1973 models for the M300, M400 and RM350.

There were Dodge Truck and Van models, and come commecial delivery Truck Chassis that had Disc brakes on them as early as 1969, but they were very rare, and at this point I would think the parts are completely obsolete (of course Geoff would know best.

I have a 1972 Brave. the Chassis was made in March of '72, and the coach was finished in April of 72. It was an M300 with Drum front brakes. It now has '74 Rm350 Single piston Disc brakes.

Changing them over was easier than you might think, but will cost a little money.
view the messages:

1972 Drum to Disc Brake conversion...plus!

Good luck!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

911rs1

Sent: 4/18/2006 7:17 AM

Good info. I was wondering if you could convert. I did a rear wheel disc brake conversion on my 1990 chevrolet truck. Thanks for the info.

Jupp318

Sent: 4/22/2006 1:52 AM

Hi Guys,

My chassis M300 was born close to April 15 1973 and came with discs.  Many people have told me that around this time Dodge were trying to use up any parts they had lying around and as such it is difficult to source parts because there was not much consistency in the parts used.

This is used by many people as an excuse not to carry dodge parts anymore.

Cheers Ian...

Ronnybass

Hello, I have a 72ââ,¬â,,¢ D20 with drum brakes and have been eyeballing all the posts over the last couple of years and love all the feed back!
Will a 75ââ,¬â,,¢ D19 with disc brakes be compatible.
Both have the Bendix master vac booster.
A property owner was gonna demo the rig and I grabbed the whole front axle and porp valve and can grab more if I move on it in the next couple of weeks.

Here are the two chassis/vin / model info
Thanks

Rickf1985

Dave will be the guy to talk to about this since the old Dodges are his thing but what jumps out at me right of is the large weight difference and not in your favor. You now have a 4500lb. front axle and you want to go wit a 4100lb. axle or parts thereof.

Ronnybass

Thank you!
I noticed that and that is the big question ( are the brakes on the 75 big enough)
The axle spring plate holes are approximately an inch narrower with a a sway bar set up and the rims are 17.5ââ,¬â,,¢s.
The spindles are the same and will bolt up
My D20 has 16 split rims and are in great shape.
1) are the discs heavy enough.
2) if so will they fit with my 16ââ,¬Â rims
Gotta get down there and compare the proportioning valve and see what it would take to install that if things Ck out.
I know Iââ,¬â,,¢ll need a new master cylinder also.

Lots of Questions
Thanks again, hope to hear from Dave and slantsixness!

Rickf1985

If you have the 16" rims aren't they 8 lug? The 17.5's are five lug and a strange pattern at that if I remember correctly. Just upgrade your rims to newer 8 lug rims. What exactly is it you are trying to upgrade?

Ronnybass

Yep The 75D19 has 17.5 coined 8 lug , I was surprised.
And yes my Split 16ââ,¬â,,¢s are 8 lug also.

Disk brake conversion is the goal when and if the time comes.

My concern was what you noticed and did not see anything in the posts
Where this was talked about.
Just want to have options should I need or want to make a change
The price was right on the D19.
When I get the parts home I can dry fit my 16 split rims on the D19 hub
To ck for clearance.
Thanks, Ron

Rickf1985

Sorry but I will not be of much help with the technical details on the front end stuff. That is Daves domain. He has been through this so many times he knows it all by heart. He will see this and pick up on it.

Froggy1936

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  D:oH!  Coned not Coined  $@!#@!  There is no such thing as Coined ! It originated in a Dodge service manual Due to a spelling error !  Frank  ;)
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Ronnybass

Thanks for that info! :)ThmbUp
Your right while doing my home work coined is everywhere!

Ronnybass

Thanks Rick!
Thanks for answering my post!
All you guys are great and a lot of help really appreciate everything.