I still have coach power with both batteries disconnected!

Started by MSN Member, October 15, 2009, 06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strato580

Sent: 6/1/2008

Hello, I'm trying to fix a starting problem, had the two batteries disconnected in battery comp. to change sol. and noticed the interior lights and a fan on the dash were still able to turn on. I mean I had both hot and ground wires disconnected from both batteries. It's a 72 brave. Has anyone heard of three batteries on these, I haven't seen a third battery but guess I'll start searching for one.Thanks,

Strato.

denisondc

Sent: 6/1/2008

If you were plugged into 'shore power', the usual setup has the shore power running a 12 volt converter (converts 115volts a.c. to 12 volts d.c.) to power the 12 volts interior lights of the coach and things like the 12 volt fan over the stove.
If you weren't plugged into shore power, then look for a 3rd battery; that might have been added by a prior owner.

strato580

Sent: 02/06/2008

No, I wasn't plugged into shoreline power, so I'll start looking for another battery.Thanks.

Slantsixness

3rd battery?

maybe it's under the dinette or gaucho, by the power converter?  but there's so much room in the battery tray, why not store a 3rd in there??? you can put 6 batteries (normal sized) in the battery tray, not that I would, but they'll fit....

either that or it's gremlins?

Possibly you didn't actually have one of the batteries disconnected like you thought?

Weird....
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

denisondc

I just talked another RV owner out of putting a 3rd battery into his motorhome - for no other purpose than starting the generator.

strato580

Sent: 03/06/2008

Strato here, I didn't find any gremlins or third battery, could a 18"X36" solar panel on roof supply power even though batteries are disconnected? (and they both were).

ibdilbert01

Sent: 03/06/2008

I wouldn't think so unless its a large solar panel. (large as in watts, not physical size). I bet there is a battery hidden somewhere. Do the lights and fan come on at night when the sun goes down?
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 05/06/2008

If the solar panel is being used to keep the battery charged then it has to be able to output greater than 14 volts.  So yes, a solar panel can be the voltage source if it is still connected to the wiring you disconnected from the battery. Get some cardboard or a blanket and cover the panel.  If the voltage goes away then you found your a "third battery".
[move][/move]

DanD2Soon

Sent: 05/06/2008

Most standard 12 volt panels produce around 22 volts open circuit - with no load.  Mine read 17.5 volts at a little over 7 amps while under load. 

I'd expect to find a splice of some sort somewhere near the converter - maybe between a charge controller and the converter..