Monitor/Control Board Gauges not working: '83 Brave

Started by MSN Member, October 15, 2009, 05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famecity

Sent: 2/17/2006

We have an 83 Brave and the monitor/control board suddenly is having issues. The water pump switch and light work correctly but that is about it. The lights for the tanks as well as the display and switches for the clock are not working. The LP meter acts as if it is trying to work but barely jumps off E. It was functioning properly and then all of the sudden these components stopped. The only thing we did was fill the LP tank but I cant see what that could have done. I believe the panel is a Jensen 7103. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Elandan2

That seems like the ground path is corroded.  The tank sensors don't use much current and a bad ground will disrupt them quite easily.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

famecity

Thanks Rick. Do you think that if one of the sensors is bad that it would effect the rest of the switches and clock?

Elandan2

Sent: 2/18/2006

I doubt that a sensor would affect the whole panel.  There could also be a resistor in the circuit to the sensors and clock.  They may operate at a lower voltage than the water pump or light, hence the resistor. Another thing that you could look for is the power supply to those items.  The fact that they all quit at once leads me to believe that it something that affects all of those things.  That is why I suggested looking for a ground problem.  You could also try the manufacturer, Elixir Industries, and see if they have any information on that model.  I wouldn't hold my breath though, that monitor panel is 23 years old now and I don't even know if  Elixir controlled Jensen back then. 
Have you had the panel off yet?  The reason I ask is it probably is operated by a circuit board. An electronics shop ( the old kind where they actually test and repair)  could help you out with testing the circuit board and finding out if there are any components that have given up.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Rick   
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

famecity

Sent: 2/20/2006

If indeed the panel is bad, does anyone have any idea where I may be able to get a new control panel?

Elandan2

Sent: 2/20/2006

If you can't get it fixed, many RV's had that type of monitor panel.  If there is any wrecker's near you or used RV parts dealers you could try them.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Slantsixness

Sent: 2/22/2006

I have a very similar, if not the same panel in my Brave. Almond colored Jensen with the clock, monitor panels, alarm.  I found it on ebay (cheap).

the Water pump and light switches have no connection to the clock and monitor circuits. Take the vent down, look at the connections on the 15 pin connector, and then on the clock circuit board, which you will have to remove from the vent body to see.

Is your "panel power" button bad, or loose? This is what controls the clock/monitor etc...side of the vent.

I don't think I have ever seen anything other than the wiring diagram of the connector from Jensen. (no schematic of the "inside")

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...