source for heater core

Started by cosmic, August 09, 2012, 08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmic

well after several days under the dash and one complete mental meltdown. i have replace the solenoid with a new constant one, and i have a working fan motor once again, only to find out that i have a leak in my heater core. I have considered sending it to the repair shop but would like to replace it.
its 16.5 long x 6 wide x 2.5 thick.  dodge m300 D21 Brave.
any help would be great as a search has come up with nothing.  Hm?

ClydesdaleKevin

You might be able to find an exact replacement, but on our 72 Futura, we had to get one that was close in size, and then my buddy Tom used a plumbing torch and we soldered on an extension of copper pipes so they would exit the heater box correctly.

That is one option, but if i were in your shoes and if you can't find a replacement, take the core down to a radiator shop and have it repaired...then you'll know its the right one and that it will fit.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

cosmic

thanks kevin.
I was going to fix it myself but cant find the hole. LOL I have silver solder but this thing needs to be pressurized for it to leak. its still very hot here in ontario so I still have time on my hands. I'm going to look at a 74 indian on the weekend thats a parts rig and i'm thinking i can pull that one for cheap. if it fits.

Stripe

Let us know, in the meantime can you post a photo of the old one for me???

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

cosmic

here is a pic of the heater core. also a pic of the restoration on the bottom 18 inches of rotten wood that goes around the intire winne. we put new 3/4 inch ply wood doubled up all the way around just like the day it came out of the factory. the last shot is today in the driveway. I love this machine. Love it.  :)clap :)clap
Hope this worked. Thanks for your help. More pics will be in the gallery very soon.

[smg id=4687]

cosmic

THE HEATER CORE.

[smg id=4684]

"So let it be written, so let it be done!"

never posted before but glad to be here, when i needed an ac condenser for my engine ac  ( mines on the roof, big oval with 2 fans in the middle) , still need one by the way, i got a hold of this guy :dscoby2@comcast.net
his name is dave got his name from the evans guys (it's the name on my heat / ac units ) , anyway he bought / buys all the old stock from them an has a warehouse full , he even remembered my old winny part, amazing
so here is how i found him... called winabago parts,got a speical # for evans, evans gave me daves, dave worked at evans  for years, great guy , can't find daves # but here's evans 616-361-2681 talk to the parts people
hope this helps, mark 007( 73 indian)

cosmic

Thanks 007
I sent a email out to him. keep my fingers crossed.

moonlitcoyote

Am I understanding correctly that we cannot buy a heater core for these rigs at a parts store? I just finally got my heater core out and thought I was just going to head to the local Auto parts store to buy one.

Stripe

Coyote, I would still take that to a parts store, but NAPA would be the one I would go to before Autozone any day..

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Froggy1936

Hi  NAPA or possibly Pep Boys and any long standing radiator repair shop are your best bets (Advance and Auto Zone) Do not have parts books (they are computor reference only) As they were not around when these veh were manufactured . Just ask them to look up a set of points for a 1960 veh. They do not carry points for anything !!!!
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

cosmic

ok I  got this MARK guys phone number1-616-454-2200 he has bought up all the old Evans stock and has all the parts for your Evans heating and air conditioning needs.
This is a great number to have for those parts you can't get. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
The heater core for my rig was in stock and he wanted $200.00 plus shipping. I'm having mine re-cord for $60.00. so Thats the route I am going to take.

rushenge

This week I put a new heater core in our 1972 D22 Brave.  Called Dave at 616-454-2200.  Described what mine looked like, and that the core is in a heater box bolted to the floor in front of the passenger seat.  He thought they had new one in stock for about $200 plus shipping.  He also asked if I could send some pictures to verify the exact model.  Sounded like a nice guy. 

Next, I took the old core to my radiator guy in St. Paul, MN.  he said it had been recored at least once before, and was too worn to be done again.  he got a new one from a supplier in Chicago - I don't know the name.  Cost was $180 plus tax.

moonlitcoyote

What does it mean to re-core the heater core? I finally took mine to the only auto parts place in town here and they didnt have anything they could match it up with. They did tell me to check the local big rig center on Monday.

ibdilbert01

"re-core the heater core?"

It means to have it rebuilt.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

JDxeper

Take it to the local radiator shop and let them see if they can repair or re-core it.  They have some of the same components as the radiator.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

A "Re-core" means they unsolder the upper and lower body of the radiator or heater core from the cooling fins and tubes...and then solder in a new set of fins and tubes to the original body.  Usually way cheaper than a new hard to find radiator or heater core (but way more expensive than a common replacement radiator or heater core).  Another benefit of having a re-core done, especially with radiators, is that they can add another row or two of tubes and cooling fins to increase the transfer of heat.  Just think of your radiator or heater core as a modular unit...there is the top, the bottom, and the CORE (the big waffle of fins and tubes that get blocked up and bent and covered in bugs and bug guts).  The Core gets replaces, so nothing changes in the way it mounts to the RV.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Thank you Kev, your explanation made sense, so if I understood correctly, they replace the fins, so any leaks I had in the fins will be gone. I thought re-coring meant cleaning it out or something, sorry I never had it done so didnt know.