Brake lights don't work, where is the brake switch located?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 12, 2008, 01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spudboy

Sent: 10/31/2003 6:15 PM

Oh, esteemed colleagues:  where is the brake switch located?  You know, the thingy that sends a signal to the brake lights.  I found out that mine may not work.  All my other tail-lights are functioning.

Spudboy

Sent: 10/31/2003 11:56 PM

On my 73 d20 the brake light switch is under the chassis in the brake line (looks like a proportioning with a wire going to it). Try your 4-way flashers & see if the rear brake lights blink, if they dont check bulbs fuzes & wireing that runs to the back. If they do blink then it is posibly your brake light switch, Or in my case when I had the same problem as you are having it was the cruze control! The cruze is wired into the brake system so when you hit the brakes the cruze cuts out. Mine was NFG & was not letting the power (12v) leave the cruze box. I disconected it & now brake lights work fine.
myk

Sent: 11/1/2003 9:39 AM

I agree checking your flashers is a good idea they are suppose to be on the same fuse circut as you brake lights and I think they use the same bulbs . This saves alot of wire tracing time . But the chassis manual show  a switch on the brake lines as being the brake sentinal switch or waring light . It shows the brake light switch as being on the brake pedal linkage , I think it is on the frame by the master cylinder but not sure It just shows a side drawing of the braket and switch . The original wire colors going to the switch should be white and pink for yours , older models were white and red .  hope htis helps ---- Sea Hag

Sent: 11/2/2003 6:52 PM

If your 72 indian is like mine, the stop lamp switch is between the master cylinder and the brake pedal arm, in the master cylinder support bracket. It is high up in the wheel well, easy to reach After-the-Wheel -is-off!! The mopar p.n. for the stop lamp switch is 2824550. I bought one of them about a year ago - cost like $35. It is semi-weather proof, since it lives in a area that gets wet and dirty. But the wiring for the brake lights also goes up into the steering column and back down again, so check connections for the column wiring harnesses, and suspect any wiring connections you find placed outside of the interior, or roasted by the exhaust manifold on the drivers side of the engine. denison

Sent: 11/3/2003 4:24 AM

What the heck is a "cruze control"? My rig has "cruise control", but I have never seen one with "cruze control" before. Does it automatically send you to Santa Cruze? or maybe place you on a "Cruze Ship"? I guess it's for "Cruzin". By the way, Was this option only available if the rig was painted with "Gay floor paint"? Just Kidding, I just couldn't pass up on this one. Lefty

Sent: 4/5/2004 8:02 PM

hi, do you know where i can get a replacement brake sentinel switch?.....and what vendors have them.....I seem to be talking french at the parts stores......

Sent: 4/6/2004 10:40 AM

Hey Spudboy,

I believe the brake light switch is located under the floor, accessible from the wheel well.  I have a 72 Brave, and that is where mine is.  Hope that helps.  Erik

Sent: 4/6/2004 6:52 PM

fsd242: When you say brake sentinel switch, do you mean the small metal casting with 4 or 5 brake lines connected to it, and one electrical connection? This would be the thing that makes the red "brake" light on the dahsboard light up when it thinks your brake system is too far out of balance - displacement-wise. I would hope a place handling parts for commercial vehicles would have a listing, but I think it would be too old and too trucky for most auto parts places.
The dodge motor home service manual calls that part a "Combination Brake Warning Switch and Metering Valve. I don?t know if my 72 has the metering function. My dodge motor home parts catalog is confusing about it. It is pictured for the 74-77 years, and called a "Valve, Metering and Warning". p.n. 4026635. For the earlier chassis this is no picture, and the item with the closest name is a Brake Indicator Switch, with two part numbers. I have seen the same function in manuals for my cars referred to as the "Combination Valve", and the "Brake Pressure Differential Warning Light Valve'. If you don?t find it locally, I imagine www.alretta.com would be able to help you.

Sent: 5/10/2004 7:09 AM

I had to replace the switch on my 75 Brave but I couldn't get a dodge switch here in Canada so with a little modification I installed a GM switch in it's place.It is mounted on top of the frame and under and accessable by the wheel well

Sent: 9/21/2005 12:57 PM

Is anyone aware of a source for the brake lamp switch, Dodge part number 2824550?  NAPA doesn't list it, and Autozone comes back with a dimmer switch.

Sent: 9/21/2005 9:37 PM

Travco.......I'd remove to old switch and take it to NAPA and look through the book ..they may be able to match it by looks....also try CarQuest.....I find them (both NAPA and CQ) better than most AutoZones as far as parts knowledge for older parts....most any switch will work...you may have to drill some new holes and retro-fit it a little..... they are all made for the same purpose...

Timmy

mbmcmahan

I've a 69 D24.  I overhauled the brakes and they work fine.  Problem is the brake lights don't work all the time.  I notice one day that they were on when should not be.  Then right but not left or both don't come on.  Warning light is on first press but not after second pump. I do not understand light circuit in combination with warning light.  Engine RPM ( i.e. Vacuum) affects always on mode...  Can anyone explain?

I suspect my boosters are defective however they do seem to be assisting.

TerryH

First, and generally easiest to check with an electrical issue is your ground. Very often the cause of the problem. Yours does sound more electrical than mechanical.
Hope this helps.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Warning light on first pump and off second is a classic sign that the rear brakes are very far out of adjustment. Probably emergency brake also if it is on the rear wheels. The light issue sound almost like it is in the turn signal switch if it is back and forth between rear lights. Put new bulbs in before going too far though just to be sure. I just noticed you have a 69, if you have drum front brakes then it could be either the front OR rear brakes being far out of adjustment. On the first pump the combination valve is traveling all the way to the side of the bad brakes but on the second pump they equalize as the wheel cylinder fills up.

LJ-TJ

brians1969

On the 69, the brake switch is hydraulically activated. There is one on each booster.

Notice the red and white wires as shown on the wiring diagram.

The brake sentinel (warning) switch is located in the distribution manifold.

It has a black/white striped wire as the wiring diagram shows. Where the confusion comes in is the factory wiring diagram shows a single (button-like)brake switch. The diagram in the manual is labeled "1970 + 1971". For some reason, Dodge changed it after 69. Probably to save money and simplify things.

Now I'm going to take a educated guess and say that there is a switch in each booster so, if you lose one half of the brake system, you will still have brake lights.  It would follow that, if you lost all your brakes, you will lose all your brake lights. Although that's probably the least of your problems at that point. :-)

LJ-TJ

There yeah go now yeah learn something new every day. That's why I love this site so much. Good stuff.

mbmcmahan

Great!  Had a feeling this was the case for the 69.  Dual switches (one for each booster) in combo with warning light on proportional valve. 

Thanks all for feedback.

M & J

M & J

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

M & J

M & J