Advice on Motorhome covers

Started by westcoast redneck, August 31, 2009, 04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoast redneck

Sent: 11/9/2005

Can anyone give me some advice on Motorhome covers. I have a 78 d21 a class Winny. It would be nice to have access to the door.Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Dale Doebert on Vancouver Is

Cooneytoones

Sent: 11/10/2005

Redneck.........check these out, best prices on covers I can find.....and they make three different price ranges, they have access door built right in...  www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm?deptID=&catID=105&subOf=8

Timmy

Weavebago

Sent: 7/5/2006

has anyone here bought or seen one of these on a classic winnie? were thinking about getting one this year and we want to have access to the door too. Do you need to "tent"the top of the cover like you do with a tarp?

Oz

Sent: 7/5/2006

I believe Tom will be telling you about his, if I recall correctly, he paid roughly $250.  Well worth it.  You may not need to tent it, but it because the roof is flat, you would still have water puddles, and skating rinks during the winter, so it would be advisable.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

camperguynj

Sent: 7/6/2006

Whatever you should purchase, I recommend using Styrofoam blocks to "blunt" the back corners on roof  (Mine came from the box the new washing machine came in)
to avoid snagging and ripping in storm winds.

Don't ask me why I know ...
Jim

Slantsixness

I have an ADCO cover for my D20. I paid $250 +$13 shipping from California (an Ebay find).

What can I say about it?

It's AWESOME! No roof leaks, no worries, it came with a storage bag and an AC cover. Simple to put on (but remember, it's a very large heavy and bulky cover and you install it from the roof!)

Pros:
Won't let the rain get in your Winnie, even if your roof isn't perfect.
Simple bungee cord front and rear tiedowns (6 bungee cords not included)
built in under carriage straps (adjustable) (included)
Two large zip-open areas that roll up and have tie downs that allow you to access your Winnie, either the whole side or just the front near the door.
Mold & mildew resistant, and the fabric is waterproof/watertight, but it still lets air in (like the expensive car covers)
Cons:

The design of the 72 boat nose Winnies includes very sharp corners and edges. In high winds (above 40mph) this damaged 2 corners, but they were easily repaired. ('72 Indian/ Chieftain and '73-on have rounded corners, not nearly as bad)
You should put foam or some kind of covering on these or any sharp edges. (I do now!)
you HAVE to have that little wheel on the top of the door, or the door will poke right through the cover when you open it! (This wheel should have come with your awning if it's not already installed. Any RV store normally stocks them, and if yours is rotted and doesn't turn, replace it!)
Extreme care must be used when installing or removing the cover. This is the biggest negative. When you're on the roof, with this big cover, it is VERY easy to make a wrong step and step on your vent covers, AC etc. It's also possible to step right off the side of the Winnie if you're not careful. My best recommendation here is: Know your roof and the layout by heart. One slip on a vent and you could find out just how high 9 1/2 feet is off the ground the hard way! I say this because I'm a sticlker about safety. And no I haven't fallen myself, or even come close, but it's a big concern!
Installing it from a ladder instead of the roof is almost impossible, you'll never get it to set right. (of course you have to get the cover, and you, on the roof with a ladder, unless you have a ladder already on the back)
All in all, I can get the cover off my Winnie completely in 5 minutes, and I can completely install it in about 10 minutes.(starting with the cover on the roof). I've done it very quickly with pending rain showers, storms, and even once in a Hurricane, but I wasn't very happy about it!

The 16-20ft model DOES NOT fit a D20. the 22-26 foot does fit, there is a little extra fabric you have to tuck together in the rear of the Winnie.

You MUST get the cover for a CLASS A, as a Class C cover will not fit properly.
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Weavebago

hey Tom,what wheel on top of the door? can you zip the door pieces on AFTER you put the rest of the cover on? would it be a lot easier with 2 people? what about tenting it? also,mine is a 1973 D22 (don't see any sharp edges)  what size should i get? I'm looking at the ones that camping world has.

Weavebago

after further review I see the sharp corners on the Weavebago! lol one on each eyebrow and the two top back corners.although I have the luggage railing(and ladder) so not sure the ones in the back are a real danger

Slantsixness

Sent: 7/10/2006

Bob,
The wheel on the door is the Awning wheel, a little caster wheel mounted on the left upper corner of the door. It keeps the door from poking a hole in your awning when the awning is not up all the way.
The same wheel will keep the ADCO cover from getting poked when you have the side open.

ADCO COVER BLOWS OFF IN THE WIND?  i??

My cover has been in 60+ mph sustained wind with gusts up to 100mph. If it's installed correctly, and you keep the Winnie in a somewhat sheltered (not on the windward) side of your house. I see almost no possibility of the wind damaging this cover. If you don't have it secured properly, I guess it could become a giant sail or weather balloon... but I doubt it.

The top of the cover is slick, and yes... when it snows.... which it doesn't snow much around here...the snow slides off by itself, or easily with a broom. Now I imagine Ice might be a little more troublesome. Just make sure it doesn't get too piled up, and your roof will be fine.

Tom 
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...