Lubricating Speedometer Cable?

Started by Hahn007, February 10, 2015, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hahn007

Anybody know the correct procedure for greasing a speedometer cable?  I assume there must also be a special grease for this purpose?

Rickf1985

Disconnect cable from back of speedo and pull out the inner cable, as you feed it back in lube it up with ordinary chassis grease. Once it goes all the way in turn it a bit to make sure it is engaged in the transmission gear. attach to speedo and done. The trick is to do all of this without getting grease all over everything inside! If it is a long cable it helps to have a helper feed the cable to you so that they can keep the clean end clean, It is very flimsy and will flop all over and can be a handful by yourself to do everything at once.

Lefty

I prefer using Graphite Oil. It is the proper lubricant for speedometer cables and will not cause the cable to gum up like regular grease.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CHI0/91812/N2440.oap?ck=Search_C0073_1395266_-1&pt=C0073&ppt=C0338
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Hahn007

Thanks for the replies.

Won't oil just run down to the bottom of the cable due to gravity?

Rickf1985

Yes, and it will keep running until the cable is dry. You need something that will stick to the cable and stay put. The graphite grease is a good choice, I have been using standard chassis grease for 40 years and never had a come back though. I just do not have enough call for the graphite grease to keep it around. The black molybdenum grease that us used in C/V joints would probably be a real good choice but it is NASTY to work with.

Hahn007

Hmmmmmm. CV grease is a good idea.   I would not have thought of that,  thanks for the suggestion.

Rickf1985

If you get that on the upholstery it will NEVER come out so be careful. Also, I have never used it for speedo cables. I do know that it was used as a replacement for graphite grease due to better lubrication and suspension in the base.

cosmic

I used 3 in 1 oil. 2 years and all seems to be doing fine. it was jumping and hopping all over the map, a couple of quick shots and never jumped again. just my 2 cents.

MotorPro

They make a little grease gun the screws on to the trans end of the cable and lubes the cable without going under the dash or removing the core.  Not sure who makes. One of the few tools I never bought. Only needed it once so I borrowed it from a friend who is a transmission guy.

Rickf1985

You have to be careful with that grease tool. I have replaced a fair amount of speedometers that got packed with grease because they did not take the cable loose from the back of the speedometer. You have no way of knowing when it is greased and it only needs less then a shot.

Jonbbrew

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 10, 2015, 07:25 PM
Disconnect cable from back of speedo and pull out the inner cable, as you feed it back in lube it up with ordinary chassis grease. Once it goes all the way in turn it a bit to make sure it is engaged in the transmission gear. attach to speedo and done. The trick is to do all of this without getting grease all over everything inside! If it is a long cable it helps to have a helper feed the cable to you so that they can keep the clean end clean, It is very flimsy and will flop all over and can be a handful by yourself to do everything at once.

Awesome! Cant wait to try this before my next drive. Thanks!
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan