Sources for Replacement Fresh Water Tank Air Compressor Pressure Switch?

Started by MSN Member, July 30, 2009, 08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkchop_14747

Sent: 7/12/2004

I have a '72 Chieftain that I've already put $3600 into.  It still has the old steel fresh water tank and an air compressor instead of a pump.  I'll be replacing it all next year.  In the meantime, I thought the motor blew up in the compressor.  Upon further inspection, it appears as though the pressure switch is the culprit.  The motor works fine when I connect an outside 12 volt source to it.

Here's my question.  Do they still make pressure switches for these old things?  Where can I get one?  And...do I dare bypass the switch and keep a close eye on the tank pressure?   Thanks!

Daved27c

Sent: 7/12/2004

Mark;

I have the same set up on my 72 Chieftain. The pressure switch on mine does not work properly. It never completely stops. It will cycle forever. I usually fill the tanks and pressurize them then I turn the compressor off. When the pressure that the water comes out of the faucet starts to drop, I just recharge it.

Dave

Sea Hag

Sent: 7/13/2004

You could try to install a pressure switch for a home well system . you can get one from any home center or hardware store for about 15 bucks . you will have to install a T in-line if there isn't a plug available in the tanks . it will work for 12volt even though it's designed for 110V. I have the same tanks on my 76 chief , it has been converted to a on demand pump , Still utilizing the steel tanks . I just got a replacement ShurFlo on demand 12V Pump from farm and fleet for $59.00 .    Sea Hag

melyash

Sent: 7/19/2004

Yea, the switch is a culprit many times, I saw like ten compressors on the shelf at RV DR George and most if not all were tagged with notes saying the pumps would not stop running etc.

Matt