Need parts sources for Schlieren Refrigerator

Started by GulfCoastFighter0, July 26, 2009, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GulfCoastFighter0

Sent: 7/3/2008

Anyone know of any parts sources for Schlieren Refrigerators? Are these Swiss appliances as good at their watches?
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
1971 Airstream Ambassador
NRA Recruiter

GulfCoastFighter0

Sent: 7/20/2008

I removed the fridge and turned it upside down overnight. I read that the 110V cord is only for the heating element and the fridge still needs a 12V source to operate. This doesn’t sound right, but what does everyone else think? I need to know what to check to find the problem. There are no signs of leaks, no smell etc. I plan to hotwire the heating elements to check them but then what?
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter

GulfCoastFighter0

Sent: 7/20/2008

Just to clarify, my unit is the original 1980, 3 way model. I've been getting lots of PM's about computer boards and modern fridges. And while I'm here, an update! When I turned the fridge back right side up today, I heard the fluids going back down to the tank and I hope that's a good sign. I found that the switch (110V/12V/LP) seems to be stuck, and found a broken wire on the 120V heating element. How do I know which replacement element to buy? It states on the rear panel that it's a two phase switch, and has 3 wires but that all the info.
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter

GulfCoastFighter0

Sent: 7/29/2008

I’ve been searching for replacement heating elements for my Sibir refrigerator. I found one locally for $25 but when I went to pick it up, it was in the wrong package. The package was right on, but the element was WAY off. A quick look in the parts book and I was quoted $90 for the one I actually needed. I thought I’d better check around. Most places I called / e-mailed told me that they would only deal with Dometic or Norcold and that they would be glad to replace my entire unit. I bet they would! The few places that could order it wanted from $115 to $190! Finally I contacted an e-bay store http://stores.ebay.com/postsrv1960 who researched what I needed and although he could only supply the 12V element, he sold it to me for just under $38! Please visit his store and if nothing else, drop him a line and tell him lwbfl sent you.
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter

ibdilbert01

Sent: 7/29/2008

That seller is from Post RV fairly close to where I grew up. My parents bought their first new RV from there, a 1977 23ft Honey. They are the "Sands RV" of Columbus Ohio. Very good people and willing to help in anyway possible.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

bluebird

Sent: 7/31/2008

If I remember right my Siber had a double position switch. Try pushing the switch that is in, and see if it comes back out. Mine was a 80 also, with manual push button switch. I could only have one pushed in at a time. I only  used mine on 12vdc one time just to see if it would work. It also had a push button type sparker to light the gas. I have seen the heating elements on ebay, but haven't looked for a long time. My Siber had to be closer to level than the one I have now, to work good.

Chuck

ontheroadagain

did you check this site it has some good info and parts http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/

GulfCoastFighter0

Yes, and very good information indeed. They couldn't help me with parts though.
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter

GulfCoastFighter0

Yep, same switches! They all seem stuck and wont move at all. I'm working on it though!
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter

GulfCoastFighter0

Sent: 8/2/2008

I received my 12V element today and hot-wired it directly to a battery. The fridge made bubbling sounds within just a few minutes. The problem is that the battery isn’t going to run it for very long, and even on a trickle charger it can’t keep up overnight. I’m assuming the converter in the camper can keep it up all night if I keep it plugged in to shore power. Anyone disagree?
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter

Clyde9

Hay Lloyd,

Did this issue ever get resolved? Did you ever replace or free-up the switches? Did the 12vdc element work?

Jack :angel:

GulfCoastFighter0

Yep, I purchased the 12V element from the e-bay store in the previous post, and hooked it to a converter.  It cooled for one night, then the ammonia smell took over the shed.  I ordered a dorm fridge, stuck it in the hole and will rely on the generator / shore power to keep the fridge cold!  Here is a photo of dorm fridge installed before I put up the trim.
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
NRA Recruiter