Replace toilet drain flange

Started by MSN Member, July 25, 2009, 10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mecold_spot

Sent: 7/30/2006

Hi All
Been redoing the floor in my 78 Brave. I need to replace the toilet flange. Reading through the past discussions, I am led to believe the ABS pipe (connected to the toilet flange) is a slip fit into the holding tank. Is this true for 78 as I can't budge the pipe. It seems to be glued in although I am not sure what type of glue would work for this. Does anyone have any experience pulling this apart ?
thanks
Gord

Slantsixness

Sent: 8/1/2006

In a 78, the collector flange "should" be threaded or glued. if it's threaded, a spanner wrench, just like the spanner used for home toilets will take it off. The main 3" pipe may remain though, it may only be threaded at the flange.
If it's glued, and the black ABS plastic, then carefully cut the pipe (flange) along the two opposite sides, and break free with a chisel or big honkin' screwdriver and mallet. It won't take much work before it breaks free, but of course you'll have to replace the flange, and maybe even the main pipe, it just depends on how gently you coerce it apart.

There is Glue for the ABS pipe at Lowe's, they also sell the pipe and flange. The adhesive is normally where the ABS pipe is though, not with the regular joint cement in the plumbing aisle. Sometimes the ABS glue is with the lawn sprinkler fittings and piping.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

firebug911

Sent: 8/4/2006

On mine it is threaded on and then there is 2 stainless steel screws (that keep it from turning) that hold it to the floor