Operation and Repair of Auto Parking Brake?: Ford John Deere Chassis

Started by Jkountz, July 23, 2009, 07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkountz

Does anyone here or anywhere else in the world for that matter, know anything about the Auto Parking Brake on a 1987 Chieftain, Ford 460 John Deere Chassis? I cant seem to find anyone that even knows what it is much less how to fix one.

Loving my 87 Winne Chieftain AKA "Hard Hearted Hanna"

Oz

Check the link for the John Deere manuals provided by Dave Bailey on the "Manuals & Diagrams" Message Board.  I didn't check each of them in-depth personally, but if any of the manuals listed cover your RV, I'd say it would be a good place to look.

Hang in there brother, the John Deere chassis is new pioneering ground for the group, but as our membership grows along with the scope of extending our resources to all makes of vintage RVs, more people with experience and knowledge will join.

And, as you gain more experience and knowledge with this chassis make, I'm sure that you'll be one of the people others turn to for assistance.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

I assume your looking for information such as:

The parking brake operation is explained in Ford's
Medium-Heavy Duty Truck Shop Manual.
There are two significant differences on this chassis:
The transmission shift linkage is used to apply the
parking brake, and a single drum-type brake is mounted
at the rear of the transmission. These differences do
not affect valve operation or oil flow.
The transmission shift linkage (A) is used to apply the
parking brake. When the shift lever is moved to "PARK", linkage cable (C) rotates cam (D) to engage control valve (E). The parking brake
is released when the brake release knob (B) mounted
under the dash is pulled.
The chassis uses a single-drum parking brake mounted
on the drive line at the rear of the transmission. The
spring-set parking brake cylinder (F) which is mounted
on the left frame rail engages or disengages the drum
parking brake with the cable.

If so, then go back to your thread:
RVs built on John Deere Chassis? @ http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=2908.0
Scroll to the last post by rsflight and look at the information in his signiture.  You will find a link (JD Manual) to the chassis manual your looking for.  Be careful though, it's 391MB and takes nearly 40 minutes to download on DSL.

If you talk real nice, Pharaoh just might download it and make it available from the tech manual section.

Dave
[move][/move]

Jkountz

Ok I must be doing something wrong. When I go to the site with the manuals, I dont get a download link, just a long listing of the various available literature. Do you have a clickable link I could use??

Jkountz

Ok once again, I missed it for looking at it. Found the link and am currently downloading it right now. Thanks!!

Wish me luck....

DaveVA78Chieftain

I had noticed it before but since it was so big I didn't download it.  Since you had been having so many problems I went ahead and downloaded it.  The name he gave it makes you think it only covers 89 but it covers 87-89,  gas units (several engines), commercial and rv chassis.  pay attention to the chassis vin number on page 16.  Find yours where ever it's been hidden on your rig (drivers area, under front, by door, etc.)  You will need the info for parts information.
Now you will be armed with good info for contacting Freightliner who is now the company who provides manufacturing support.

Dave 
[move][/move]

Jkountz

I got the manual!! Whoo boy!! I got pictures, detailed operating instructions, assembly/disassembly!!!! Im like a kid on Christmas!!
I'll have that brake working now, just you go hide and watch!! :)clap

Jkountz

UPDATE:

Ok so after reading the manual I got a better understanding of how the parking brake works. Its actually kind of simple once you're in the know.
There were several cable adjustments to make and I did have quite a bit of slack in the activation cable. You see when you put the unit in park, it operates a cable which activates the pump which moves the brake pads out to lock the unit in place. Sooooooooo after the adjustments I now how some brake. It will hold on small inclines but not enough to call it good. So that only leaves the brake shoes themselves, a much more involved repair. Either that OR the pump is working but not enough to put the amount of pressure needed to hold the unit in place.
I guess its off to the parts place to see about getting some new shoes, after that if it still doesnt work I'll be at a loss again.
Wish me luck.

DaveVA78Chieftain

You might want to contact freightliner and see if they have brakeshoes and parts available or now of a resource.

BTW, I was reading through the section and somewhere it said the brake chamber (cable actuator) can bleed down if the rig sits for a while.  Did you bleed the system yet?

Dave
[move][/move]

Jkountz

I have not bled the system yet. I pooped out today and didnt feel like getting into it so thats another days project. My neck sure does hurt from laying under that thing looking up!! :'(
The fact that Im getting some grab now does kinda tell me that the system is working somewhat though so I thought of that as a good sign. Hopefully bleeding it will do the trick.

Oz

If your RV hasn't had the brakes regularly used and has sat for some time before you got it, bleedin the brakes will make a very significant difference.  Be sure to bleed out the fluid entirely, replacing all the old fluid with new.   A hand pump bleeder is a major plus for doing this.  buy a couple quarts of fluid.

After driving a hundred or so miles and letting the rig sit for a day or so, do a maintenance bleed on the system again.  This will eliminate any remaining air.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Jkountz

UPDATE: :)clap :)clap :) :)
Eureka!!
Well folks I finally did it, I fixed my parking brake issue!! I was missing an adjustment to a cable that was tucked up under there in such a way I didnt see it until today. I kept seeing it in the manual and thinking, ok thats for another unit, not mine.
Well it WAS for my unit and after adjusting it it holds like a new one!! I tried it out on a very steep incline (my driveway) and it just sat right there. Locked in Park just like it should do. I now know the entire parking brake system by heart so if anyone out there has any troubles with one of these systems, let me know, I feel pretty confident I can help or at least point you in the right direction.

Im a happy camper now!! :D

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

RV Mech Tech

(late posting to this topic)  Jkountz - for your information-if  that  parking brake is the Ford style it will  have a fluid tank usually as part of the pump assembly and it uses automatic transmission fluid not brake fluid (GM and Workhorse have the same type of brake in those years)  - double check the manual to be sure- also if the fluid level is low that will affect the operation as well - and be warned- if the fluid level gets to low the brake assembly will engage even when you are driving so you have to make sure the fluid level is up ( how do I know? -it happened to me twice on customers RV's!! ) - if the tank is part of the pump assy. then you will have to manually check it at the tank underneath the vehicle -the system also has an oil pressure switch that warns you (with a buzzer) if the fluid gets too low and its located in the output oil line at or around the pump - also one source for brake parts is www.stepvanparts.com (www.millsupply.com )  - they have the shoes and some other parts for both the Ford and GM style drivleine parking brakes in their online catalog .  :)ThmbUp