Siding Panel adhesives

Started by knuckleheadpower, July 22, 2009, 08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckleheadpower

Sent: 10/27/2006

I will be doing some siding repairs and replacement from one coach to the next. What the best adhesive to use? 

Slantsixness

Winnebago used multiple layers of adhesives to adhere the styrofoam to the aluminum exterior siding, and to adhere the interior panel to the styrofoam. They were also manufactured under pressure, something most of us can't afford to try at home...

I used PL 185 Wallboard adhesive on my whole rig, but I had no areas where the styrofoam had pulled away or rotted away form the aluminum, except where the panels are joined along the bottom skirt, where it was just 2X4's screwed to the  channel in the two joined panels ( all of that wood was replaced, and both screwed and glued, but with High strength construction adhesive designed for bonding dissimilar materials (wood to aluminum).

For the wall board adhesive, use a 1/8 or 1/16" toothed trowel. Once its set, you will never be able to remove the wallboard again without damaging the foam core of the wall. PL 185 does not eat away the foam, either.

A caution about the PL185... (available at Lowe's)...Wear protective junk clothing and gloves... not because it will hurt you, because it takes HOURS of scrubbing to get it off your fingers. (been there... done that!)

I hope this is what you were looking for.... :)
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...