Installing 440-3 thermostat in Class C MB400 chassis?

Started by Fastbanshee011, September 14, 2009, 08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastbanshee011

Sent: 11/17/2005

I got one for you guys whats the best way on installing a new thermostat on a 1978 MB400 440. I looked under the hood the other day and it looks impossible to do my self. Any ideas?

oldRoadRanger_al

Sent: 11/18/2005 11:42 AM

I thought the same on my '77 MB400. ended up having to remove the AC compressor, but not disconnecting the hoses and laid it aside for better access. The thermostat housing bolts were frozen and definitely felt like they were at the breaking point. I stopped and put heat where they screw into with a torch and presto, loosened right up! Might be a good idea to change the water pump and thermo fan clutch while you're in there for reliability's sake. Overall the job looked much worse than it was so go for it.

By the way, I use a great replacement refrigerant for the impossible to get and ridiculous priced R12. It's made by Envirosafe and is compatible with all AC oils (unlike 134) and is not moisture sensitive. It's boiling point is lower than R12 which means it blows colder! Some people are turned off that it is hydrocarbon based and flammable, but so is all the fuel in the tank I say. There's a Silver Streak class C on a MB400 chassis that was for sale a while back. Work receipts were posted as pictures to prove that 17k was spent on it. One listed a charge of $650 just for the R12 freon alone, labor was extra! The Envirosafe fill is $18 and colder!
Sorry to get off topic from thermostats but my hands won't stop typing.