Early holding tank layout?

Started by MSN Member, July 16, 2009, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Sent: 10/13/2001

hello all,

I was replacing my waste valve today on 70 d27c, and found what I thought to be something unusual. Seems only the toilet and bathroom sink vent to the holding tank. the shower, and kitchen sink by pass the tank completely and run strait out to the main waste drain. theres no sign of an additional inlet on the tank, or any that there was a secondary tank at some time.
Was this the way it was originally? or did someone reroute the system at some point (did a good job of it if so) . I guess ill have to get a portable tank if I decide to camp someplace without sewage hookups, but I'm curious on how other early models are set up...

Thanks,

Eric

jvf

Sent: 10/13/2001

Eric,
I just bought a 72 in addition to a 73 I have.  The 73 has two holding tanks: a "Grey water" tank for sink, etc. and a "black water" tank for toilet.  It has two separate drains.  Just like a modern motor home.

The 72 is like yours.  There is only one holding tank.  The toilet goes into it.  There is one main drain valve and one "holding tank valve".  If you close the main and open the "holding tank valve" the toilet will go into the top of the tank and the sink water will flow into the tank through the valve.  Doesn't seem like a very good setup but that is the way the original owners manual describes it.  Mine is a 22 footer and the tank doesn't look too big.  I might get one of those collapsible bags for "Grey water" if I'm dry camping for any time.

My 72 also has an air pump to pressurize the water, the 73 has a demand water pump.  I think I might upgrade the 72 (thats the one I'm keeping).

Hope this helps.

Jim Ferguson
73 Indian 24', 440
72 Indian 22', 318

Eric

Sent: 10/14/2001

Thanks Jim, that sheds some light on things. I've only one valve, at the black water(and only) tank, but it makes sense that theres "supposed" to be another valve. the gray water could just back flow into the tank that way. i guess i just have the secondary valve, which i replaced today.. (crappy job) ..
can you tell me where the "main" valve is on your rig? is it mounted low near the drain connection or higher up near where both systems join to the common drain pipe? I may go ahead and put one in to avoid toting a portable tank, and stop the splash (gray water held in by the drain cap) when i dump the tank.
Thanks again,
Eric

jvf

Sent: 10/15/2001 2:38 PM

I find if I close the "total" valve and open the "black" valve all waste will go into the holding tank.  I'm not too crazy about that setup because "grey" and "black" water combine in the tank and I'm concerned about odors escaping up the sink drains.  My long range plans are to install a separate "grey" water tank and set it up like a modern RV.
Jim F.

Eric

Sent: 10/15/2001

having lived in my 70 for almost a year (just bought a 5th wheel) i can only remember once where i had a problem with odor. near where my "gray" water lines connect to the black water drain, theres a almost a trap like device with vents around the circumference edge . i don't know much about plumbing but i think this was designed into the system to vent fumes, and improve drainage. if this is the case it works well, as i was hooked up the whole time. Thinking about it, it seems to me a small gray water tank, maybe 30 gallons, would work well for camping without hookups for a few days. my priority right now is fixing a few odds and ends and getting my rig into storage, but once thats done ill have more time to plan out a more efficient system for dry camping, as i plan do a lot down the road..unless someone has an old dually that runs decent they'd like to trade me for it. I would miss my 70 a lot though, its a great RV..keep the ideas coming, this list is a great resource..Thanks!!

galaxie59

Sent: 10/20/2001

Hi,
I too have a 72 Chieftain 22 foot and my sewage tank is all that I have , The water from the sinks,shower T into the sewage line in FRONT of the sewage tank and there is no holding tank for the sinks etc. I have to use a portable one for the sinks and shower. What is the best way to change this set up so that I have a tank for both.?

Thanks,

brians1969

Sent: 4/2/2006

My 69 had only one tank too, so I got a grey water tank from a 73 winnie in the junkyard, and plumbed it in.
brian

denisondc

Sent: 4/2/2006

Both my holding tanks have their own waste valve, then they joint to a common drain outlet - where you hook up the honey-tube.
The waste valves are Saniware 640, and if anyone knows where to get those valves or the rebuild kits, I would sure like to know about it! If the Saniware 640s aren't available you might have to use one of the newer style waste valves.

HomerT

Sent: 11/2/2006

Hey Brian, How much did the installation of the grey water tank run you? How hard was it to plumb it in? Thanks, Troy

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 11/8/2006

When we first bought the Ark, it was set up just like yours.  After a while I installed a valve in the inlet that brings the grey water to the drain spout...that way I could, by changing valve positions, have all the grey and black go to the same tank, or just the black.  The problem with this?  My little 20 gallon holding tank would fill up in no time if you wanted to take showers!  (It was also leaking like a sieve!).

So...and I have a thread about this somewhere, I installed 2 25 gallon tanks, one grey and one black, and a full description is on that thread.  If you go to the Ark's photo album, you can see detailed pictures of how I plumbed it originally with an extra valve, and also how I put in the 2 new tanks like a modern RV setup.  I'm VERY happy with the new setup, even though it was a lot of work.

You don't have to worry about the smells coming through your drains though, if its plumbed right.  The gas traps under each drain will keep any odors from coming through.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

brians1969

Sent: 11/10/2006

The grey water tank was $20 from the junkyard. A bunch of 3" ABS fittings, a couple of new valves, some scrounged abs pipe, couple of hangers from home depot. I'm guessing around $100 and a bunch of hours laying on my back staring up at the underneath of the winnie trying to visualize the whole thing.

When you start gluing fittings, it's pretty much permanent!
Brian