Automatic Water Pump Shut-off Control Circuit.

Started by ibdilbert01, July 07, 2009, 11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibdilbert01

Heres just an idea I thought about coming to work today.   A board like the one below would configure the water pump to turn on for lets say, 15 mins, then automatically shut itself off.   I have a sure flow pump that says you can run it dry, and my toilet hose blew off the backside of the toilet last year when I forgot to shut the water off.   I had left the campsite to go to work and when I came back, all my water had been pumped out, and the pump was still on, running dry.   It was so hot It raised some concerns.   

I have my water pump hooked to a lighted toggle switch so at quick glance I can tell if I left it on or not, and had forgotten to check it in my hurry to go to work that morning.     Lucky for me, nothing happened and the pump still worked.   I'm thinking about using one of these boards with my pump.  The relay can handle 7 amps, my pump is 6 amps, but the relay could always be replaced with a heavier one.   Also a push button could be placed by the kitchen, and one in the bathroom. 

Just a thought.....

http://www.smarthome.com/7279/Delay-Timer-Relay/p.aspx

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ibdilbert01

I liked my thought, so I ordered a timer board, and some groovy momentary push button switches with blue LEDs.  The LEDs are on their own circuit, so I can wire them to light up when the timer is activated.   

When the parts arrive, I'll let you know how well it all goes together.   I'll not only put a button in the kitchen, and a button in the bathroom, but I'll leve the existing switch in place, just in case the board were to fail on me.  I always try to keep things simple.    ;)

R-Bob

Thats pretty cool. Another option would be to install a float switch and wire your pump switch in series with it. That way when the water gets below the set level the pump will not come on.

ibdilbert01

A float control is actually a really good idea!   Would be an easy way to prevent burning up a pump.