weak spark or no spark when testing new coil?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 11, 2008, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 2/29/2008 9:50 PM

hi gang,so awhile back[3 weeks] we had a cold snap for 4/5 days.since then i can't start my machine.[73 brave w440.3] had fuel problems ,so new napa manual fuel pump. got fuel. when i turn it over it will fire on first 3or 4 revilutions then nothing till i let go of the key,then a few pops.but still no go.so i have replaced the plug wires,coil,control modual,cap and rotor......hmmm so i test the coil by holding the coil wire to a ground.turn it over,weak yellow spark the first 3,4 revalutions. then no spark till let go of the key then a few pops..i thought i might be loosing power from the ingnition switch to the coil. so i did the test again and there was power on both posts of the coil (+,-)  all the way through.mabey 25-30 revolutions each test.so any thoughts....i bought a pick up coil but haven't installed it yet.  could it be as simple as the condenser?,that looked old. or mabey the balast resistor? or mabey even a new ingintion switch.i thought of just using a toggle switch for the power and the key for the starter. so i am all ears.thank you,todd

Sent: 2/29/2008 9:56 PM

Your ballast resistor is bad.  Short the wires with a couple of paper clips and it will run like a top.  Then get a new ballast resistor.

Henry

Sent: 2/29/2008 11:03 PM

henry,OUT A SIGHT,    MAN!!!!!! balast resistor it is!! went out and jumped it like you said,bango.........so cool.i think i will get 2 and have a spare as i herd they go out often. so what should i do with the pick up coil? do they go out often? it wasn't to much mabey carrie it along. again thanks henry,       "you don't leave a man behind!!!"    what a quick fix,  sweet!      ........todd