what refrigerator have you replaced yours with?

Started by junkyarddogfan, September 18, 2011, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyarddogfan

the siber in my '78 winnebago has died. i am not into spending $1,100 for a new 3 way, so am thinking of going with an apartment sized one..yes i know it will only work on elec but thats ok for me and i have tried burping it with absolutely zero luck.

if you changed over to an apartment sized version, what make and model did you change yours over to?

how is it working out for you so far?

mine measures 24 1/2" wide and 54 1/2" tall but i have some room to play height wize and a smidgen width wise.

i appreciate all replies.

Thanks.

HandyDan

I didn't replace mine, I had the cooling coil rebuilt.  It cost $425 and it now works like new.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

junkyarddogfan

i have thought about that, but i bought the coach 10yrs ago and it has never worked. my dad had a new '77 Itasca with a siber and even new it took so long to cool and get ready, and it got longer everytime after it sat. the dometic and others work so much better than a siber, so much so that even spending $425 to fix it doesn't seem worth it to me...guess i just don't like siber's, lol.
figured since new coaches and such are going to apartment sized units, it would be a better upgrade.

4winds

I put a 10cf majic cheif in my Executive. Bought it at Home Depot for 379 out the door.  It way 61 inches tall so had to cut out top of encloser.  Works great!!!  Ed

RedneckExpress

Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

JDxeper

When ole men dry camp we have lots of gen or is that gin. Hm?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Oz

I replaced mine with an approximately 10yr old Norcold.  Can't remember the model now but, it was the largest, single door model which would fit in the rig (single door wide.  It had a door for the fridge and a door for the freezer).  It had sat in a rig for 5 years, unused.  After a good burping, it worked excellent until I sold the rig 5 years later, which was in the last year.  I paid $500 for the whole RV just to get the fridge.  It worked on LP but not on electric.  But, I didn't care to fix that since it used very little propane.  It was well worth it to me.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

RedneckExpress

Sounds like it was an 8 cu ft unit (What specific model is moot as the only major changes between the years was the addition of extra insulation and newer electronic controls), which is the standard single-wide stack model that's been around in most standard market rigs since the late 80s. 
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://