Diesel VS Gasoline cooling system sensors?

Started by Boots, November 07, 2008, 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boots

Sent: 7/4/2007 4:41 PM

Does a diesel engine's cooling system reequire different sensors than a comparable sized gasolene engine? My 6.2Ltre GM diesel's temperature sensor is irradic, not consistant when clutch fan is activated or when temperature starts to cool down. I suspect previous owner(s) may have installed wrong temp sensor or the stock Chevy gauge is bad. Any and all comments welcome.
Boots

Slantsixness

Sent: 7/5/2007 10:35 AM

No, a diesel requires no different sender or gauge whether diesel or gas.

Ignition (ha!) shut off is different in diesels, and a tachometer in a diesel is a different animal altogether (because there IS NO ignition!) Otherwise, most of every other gauge is pretty standard GM, and any other manufacturer as well.

GM used to use ceramic resistors mounted between the posts on the gauges. they caused all kinds of stupid quirky problems, from being intermittent, to the gas gauge reaing Full or empty all the time, oil pressure gauge pegs, and only reads 0 psi when the oil pressure is above 50psi... pegging intermittently... basically these resistors are the "ghosts" in GM gauges.

Anyway, I would investigate the gauge resistors. I don't think GM actually calls them "resistors" I've heard them called "calibrators", "preselectors" "Chips" even "capacitors"(although totally wrong) ... and I'd bet there is another 8 or 9 names for them....

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...