Need to locate coach water lines on 77 Minnie-Winnie

Started by MSN Member, May 28, 2009, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellow8882

Sent: 6/28/2007

Hi Everyone, I have a 77 Dodge Minnie. After my last trip I don't expect to take many long voyages but we take it to the beach very often. I surf daily and our Nieces and Nephews love to go also. So I have an idea, but am having trouble with the execution (I haven't tried very hard yet). So I thought I'd ask and maybe save some problems.

I want to install a hose or shower for the outside of the rig to rinse off. I am going to store the hose in the rear generator compartment behind the rear door. The generator is gone and the compartment is being used as storage only. I want to connect to the cold sink and shower water lines and come up through the bottom of the compartment. Here is my problem. I can't find the water lines under the chassis. I have only had "Turtle" less than a month and not familiar with much. I saw a black hose that looked like a water line so I manually crimped it to cut water flow to the sink but it didn't like water was flowing nor did I hear the water slow in the sink. Come to think of it I didn't see a water pump or the water holding tank either.

So I guess my question is has anyone else done this? and where is the water pump/ lines? I assume the water tank must be under the far back seat but I was hoping for easier access as the PO screwed all the under seat compartments shut and I don't want to open them if there is a better access point.

Thanks Everyone!!
Chris 

RU70x7

I would find the water pump and "T" a water line off the main water source.  Your water lines run inside the coach and often are hard to track.  If you live in a warmer climate and don't plan to use the coach in below freezing temperatures, you could run them down through the floor and along the fame.  The generator bay is a great place to put the faucet.  You could also cut a square hole in the wall and install a nice plastic faucet compartment complete with a locking door.  If you do this near the water heater you could run both hot and cold water lines.

AllanCZ

Why did the PO screw the compartments shut?

Maybe Jimmy Hoffa is in there.

Rayd

You could look under the kitchen or Lav sink to see if the supply lines are accessible. Depending on the type of supply lines ("risers") you have several options to obtain water. You could cut them and insert a tee fitting, this may be tricky if you have to match up plastic tubing with a special crimp.

I would disconnect the faucet from the riser and insert a brass tee and fittings to match the faucet and riser, which is more then likely ½" ip (iron pipe). These parts are available at all hardware stores.

and my ~Tip Of The Day~ Add an Anti-back flow device to any hose bib you install on the Winnie. 

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/29/2007

All of your water lines and your water pump are going to be located INSIDE the rig...under or behind cabinets and drawers, under the bed, under benches, etc.  They did this to protect them and to keep them from freezing.

Kev  
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ontheroadagain

Sent: 6/29/2007

i have a 1980 Minnie and i added a outdoor shower right near the kitchen sink i used push lock tees from Lowes on the water lines to the sink inside the cabinet i cut the hole in the wall right behind the pull out drawers works great and was easy install i got the shower unit for around $20 on ebay

yellow8882

Sent: 6/30/2007

Thanks for the info guys! (the internet @ its best)
Kev I think you have responded to every question I've had!!! You should rrun a seminar or I should pay to have you spend a weekend and get me up to speed!!!!
OTRA7  That is exactly what I want to do, only I don't want to take it that far....yet... a previous post said I may get IP. If that is the case I won't be doing it otherwise I plan to be done this weekend. Guess I'll be lurking under and inside cabinets and benches today.
Thanks again guys.

Chris 

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/30/2007

Thanks Chris!

2 or so years ago, I had absolutely NO clue how ANYTHING worked in an RV...and the one I bought at the time was a MAJOR fixer-upper.  If it wasn't for all the folks in this group taking me under their wing and teaching me the ropes, I'd probably STILL be trying to figure it all out on my own.  A special thanks to Dave Denison, Mark Sobyak, Tom Depiro, Wayne, Lefty, and everyone else, for without them we would have broken down SO many more times than we did, and I wouldn't have been able to fix anything myself.

Because I'm a full-timer with my wife and dogs and cat, full-timing it is really my area of expertise...been doing it now for 2 years Plus!  Dave and Tom and Mark are the true experts...what I do know I learned from them.

Thanks again, Chris!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

MSN Member

Sent: 7/6/2007

Found everything (except Jimmy Hoffa) and got the shower working in time for our trip to the beach for the fourth. Not nearly as clean as OTRA7's but functional!!!! and thanks again everyone.
Chris