Both Roof Air Conditioners won't run, '85 Elandan

Started by MSN Member, May 27, 2009, 08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RU70x7

Sent: 7/6/2007

I have a 1985 Winnebago Elandan.   She's really in pretty good shape.  However, I can't get the air-conditioners to come one, front or back.  When I kick the right breaker switch on, I get a little beep sound in the converter.  What's happening here.  The outlets work fine, but no microwave either.
BroB

tiinytina

Sent: 7/6/2007

Are you running on Genny or shore power and or does this happen either or? Sounds like you may have a bad ground or some bad connection somewhere. You said outlets work but microwave doesn't... I know in my Tiffin the microwave works on the same circuit as the AC so I literally can't run both at the same time or I blow the GFI I'm plugged into and or the interior breaker.   I only have one ac unit. I'm guessing but don't know that the second one is on a different circuit?  See if you getting power to the AC units if you can.
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

jazzin112

Sent: 7/7/2007

In the ElanDan, the AC's are also controlled by the switch under the refrigerator marked Front / Rear.  You can only run one at at time while on shore power, but can run both when the genny is running, with the switch in the front position  The rear AC also has its own circuit breaker, independent of the main switchgear, beneath that switch.  check that breaker for the rear, and like TinyTina says, the front AC/microwave are on the same circuit in the main switch gear/breaker box.  Kind of an archaic setup, but we are talking 20+ years ago.  Check those breakers, they do fail, as I have replaced two.  Difficult buggers to find too.  Got mine from a large electrical supply house in Seattle.

My old front AC wouldn't run due to a siezed motor, which I have found out since can be replaced.  I was lazy and replaced the whole unit.  My rear AC started to sieze occasionally last summer, so I pulled it and cleaned and lubed it thoroughly with turbine oil...no problems since.

I love our '84 ElanDan, but electrical problems abound.

John
'84 ElanDan - "Ol' Snort"

tamm_me

Sent: 7/9/2007

Sorry I didn't respond before now, we have been out camping again. We too have an Elandan, she is an 87 with the dual a/c. We are supposed to have the switch under the fridge but something must have went wrong with it before we got it, because the front one has been rewired with a separate switch. The original switch could be set to front which would only operate the front a/c or set to rear which would allow it to automatically go back and forth between the two. Turning one off and the other on in sequence. This would be a nice thing if ours still worked. As it is we turn on the front one for part of the day then switch to the back one for part. The PO did buy a new switch which we found in the drawers, they just never installed it.

I recently purchased a new owners manual from Winnebago, it cost me about $13. This system is covered there.

But, I would definitely check that switch.

Tam