stove top resurfacing-????

Started by bill_never_paid, May 10, 2009, 09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill_never_paid

Sent: 3/2/2008

I have an original (l975) stove in my class "C and it is chrome-ish and it does have some pits in it that every year show rust and I have taken sos to it each year but still looks like heck, nice word, and would like to refinish it without replacing the whole darn stove
question - has anyone resurfaced or repainted over one of these - or can you just---I'm afraid to try without knowing--just sand em' down with pad on drill or something and seal it---------what can I do?
Bill

killme10

Sent: 3/4/2008

Hi, POR-15 makes an engine enamel that stand up to 1200 degrees + and comes in black. I have used it on engines with great luck. You can spray normally it or you could have it thinned and put in spray cans but it would be expensive. About $60.00 for 3 cans. They will probably make you buy a whole pint. You can get it at most automotive paint suppliers. Good luck. Marty

jbmhotmail

Sent: 3/5/2008

Bill, check your "yellow pages" for a local Powder Coating company and see what they would charge, they have a lot of different colors and the price may be very reasonable. If you contact a company, please post price quote.
Good luck.

LJ-TJ

Sent: 3/6/2008

Hi again Donna and Bill -- LJ here -- to be honest, I never considered doing the high heat first, appliance enamel second route, because appliance enamel (at least the stuff I used -- don't recall the brand name) is specifically designed for fridges and stoves, so you'd expect it to be heat tolerant enough for the purpose.  In my experience, it has proven to be quite durable -- the heat around the burners has in no way, to my eye, affected the finish.  Marty -- I've heard both good and bad about POR-15, but have never used it so can't comment.  And JBM, powder coating might be a good option, but again never used it in this application so can't comment.

Blue skies -- LJ

bill_never_paid

Sent: 3/7/2008

Ok finally got'er'dun'-------had one heck of a time making up my mind on the way to repaint the stove top--talked to some local people and had as many ideas as you all did. Took the top today and cleaned er' good with degreaser/pad/wash and got the rust and pits cleaned.  Spayed it with High heat black paint--can top showed a little gloss so thought I had it made---neighbor , also retire-Bounder guy, came over to see what I was doing--had just hit it for the 3rd time. Painting the top-I said- and he came back with "That's the primmer right?"---wrong that the damn paint and yes it looked like primer----15min later I'm on my way back to the store only this time I check out several----found semi-gloss, still a little dull, high heat paint looks great will let er' set for couple days---although dries in 15 min. before I put it back and crank up the heat----let you know how it does. Powder coat (arm/leg) Huh??thing If doesn't work will redue - Appl. paint

ohhmom

Sent: 3/8/2008

Ok ...we went to the hardware store today and I was able to find a high heat resistant rust stop which I will use as my primer...and then I was able for the first time to find a high heat black glossy spray on paint.  This all came from Ace hardware and it is their name brand paint...but it is too cold this weekend to tackle the job...so hopefully I will be able to try it all next weekend.  Also by then my dad should be completely recovered from his recent surgery so that I can devote my attention to the stove.  I did find the tack rags and will be using them also.  I will let you know later how mine turns out!
Donna

bill_never_paid

darn it, not what I really meant to say-------The only place I didn't try was ACE now what do I do---first dull black on the damn thing then semi, ya right, gloss gray---really isn't shinny at all---maybe a little bit and then you post "FOUND HIGH HEAT BLACK IN A GLOSS FINISH"----haven't put the top back yet may run down, wife needs an outing anyway, to ACE and see what they have.  Kind of wondering if I need to do, should I be lucky enough to find GLOSS, anything other than make sure it's dust free and hit er' with GLOSS? Already have 3-4coats of black, 3-4 coats of gray on it--------------hmmmmmmmmm?Huh?Huh???
Kennewick Bill

ohhmom

oops...Did I do that!!!!...Lol.....I am sorry Bill...but like I said this is the first time I have seen it too...one thing is for sure....yours should last a long time...cause it will have to go through all of those good layers!!  So take the lemon and make some lemonade and enjoy it while the paint dries!!! If you get yours on before me ...let me know how it works before I break open the can..lol...Donna

bill_never_paid

Son came over, have 2 in their late 30s, so have not headed for the store but am on my way, hope today, and see if I can find the "High Gloss" stuff---wife thinks I'm crazy to work about it but went out to the MH and when I touch the top it showed my finger prints, Don't want to leave them for someone to run a check on my background, without doing anything but pick it up----kind of a powder thing--not sure why but "High Gloss" would take care of that=yes shows prints but not like a grease print--------let ya know later Donna
Bill

bill_never_paid

Sent: 3/16/2008

Now what---the glove-hate to get my hands dirty-has gray on it which i just wiped the stove top to see if it was set. It has been several days since I painted the top with High Heat paint and Yes the weather has not been above 65 but I have had it in a heated area and have had the MH heater on, almost every day-70+- and the damn thing should be dry by now---Start over ?Huh??? first painted with black--to dull--then gray--dull--then this semi gloss gray---still not real shinny but is it that I am to impatient and need to wait or did I screw it up and need to start over----Bill

denisondc

My limited experience with those metallic type finishes is that they take longer to dry than just pigmented paint, and even after a week or two (or a month) when they are fully dry - rubbing them will bring off some of the metallic component.

bill_never_paid

Thanks your probably right-just trying to move on and git'er'dun' but I'll leave the darn thing and I already checked the stove so I'll put it back and leave it-wanted to heat er' up and see if it worked---Bill

bill_never_paid

Donna how did you do on your stove top?  Huh? ???  Bill

ohhmom

Bill I will not tackle mine until after Easter...too much going on in my family right now....but I have to tell you yours looks really really good.  I am going to put the black on mine and see what it does...and if not I am going to silver like yours!  But as you said...it probably just needs to sit for a while now...frustrating at the least...but since you have so many layers on...they all need to cure a bit now!  But again..I like it...and it looks like it does have some shine to it...and after a while stainless does loose some of its shine...and some of it is a soft shine like yours is...I can't say enough how well yours looks and it has my anxious to get started on mine!  Donna

bill_never_paid

Thanks Donna- and they are probably right-just wait it out-maybe I'll through it in my oven, in my home, and help it cure----as if my wife would let that happen--going to put it back on the stove tomorrow and move on to other junk to do-----Bill

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 3/17/2008

If its an enamel paint, enamels take a very long time to cure entirely...they are oil based of course, but they cure as the oil evaporates...a painfully slow process.  I put a very heavy coat of Rustoleum Professional white enamel on Wart the Astro's roof as a base coat after I sanded off all the old paint and rust (the topcoat is going to be Herculean white bed liner...that way the roof won't get scratched when we load and unload the roof racks when we travel), and it took a few WEEKS, of baking in the Florida sun, before it couldn't be dented with a fingernail!  And even still, it is just now about ready to topcoat...this is a month later, and I'll be doing the project next week.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.