Metal or Plastic Fresh Water Holding Tank. Which would you choose?

Started by ohhmom, May 06, 2009, 12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohhmom

Sent: 3/3/2008

We have both tanks at this moment...we have the metal(blue) fresh water tank that we believe was the original on our 1975 Winnie and we also now have a plastic fresh water tank.  Which tank would you use if you could choose...?  All suggestions are welcome!
Thanks
Donna and Alan

bill_never_paid

Alan,
I also have a 1975 Winny (C) and I had a 20 gal metal tank under the back sofa/bed and it had a pressure pump on it that scared the hell out of me--original and all- so I went and had a plastic one build to my spec/side and put in a water pump and love it although I did not put in a city water connection so I have to fill the tank first but I plan on reducing that also but I also will have to change the fill , outside, set up to do both---real reason I didn't think I would care about city water set up was my holding tanks---have sep. gray and black are small but a lot of places we go have sewer connection and would be nice to have it but not a big deal to change--kept my old tank and pump just in case-----selling it and they want original parts thing but I don't plan to sell it
Bill

denisondc

If the metal tank was original, its 33 years old. Thats fairly old for a water tank not to leak. I have seen the metal tanks on Winnies in salvage yards that had rusted out; I could tell by the visible water damage. So I would either use the plastic tank (which I believes means switching to the 12 volt water pump in-line with the tank outlet) or think about getting a new metal tank - and sticking with the original type of 12 volt air pump. I would expect a new metal tank to last 20 years.
A plastic tank can also leak, due to vibration/stress at the outlet connection, or abrasion or something heavy sitting on it for a while. They need to be sort of cradled in place.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 03/03/2008

I would say go for the plastic tank.  Metal tanks can taint the taste of the water (metallic taste), and you can't see into it, so it is harder to tell if it is clean.

With a plastic tank, you can also visibly check the water level if you don't have a gauge or your senders aren't working.

And they are lighter.

I would go with a plastic tank and a SureFlo pump.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Yep...I just pulled what I thought where old pressure tanks for extra storage only to find out they were new tanks. Yah I think plastic is the better way to go.

ohhmom

Wow...it looks like everyone is pro plastic here!   We are leaning to it since we have the sure flo pump for the plastic one and the metal one did not have a pump with it when we received the Winnie.  The pump had been removed along with everything else!   Also we have the sensor board that came out of the camper we were able to strip down and the plastic tank will fit underneath the sofa bed that we took from the old camper....that is where it was when we took it out!   Alan was leaning towards the plastic and I was not sure...so he is grinning now.....thanks guys!  This site is wonderful and all of you have a Wonderful day!!!!
Donna with the 1975 D19 Brave(The Ice Cream Truck)!

tiinytina

Sent: 13/03/2008

Go for the plastic. You never know what the water source is where you fill her up. pH (acid or basic) effects all metals and will effect the taste of the water etc. Plus the lets not forget the rust factor on top of that..... even if the tank is kept empty just the residual humidity will have an effect.
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

maryk2u

Sent: 15/03/2008

Donna (AKA Ohhmom),
We have a plastic tank and Ken put in a new "thingy", the same "thingy" that you needed .  We found we needed to replace the hose between the "thingy" and the tank.  We like the plastic tank, and it does not effect the taste of the water, however, some places I really wish it would!
Mary K.  (AKA AFMom)

ohhmom

Sent: 15/03/2008

Lol...I never knew that my thingy was going to be so popular.....Mary we are seriously considering putting in the plastic now...we still have to test it first to make sure that it does not have any holes in it....my dad has been here recovering from surgery and will probably go home tomorrow so after Easter we may get back into working on the winnie again...right now with my dad and also preparing for our Easter program at church...and running the house...keeping up with a husband ...you know....and all there just isn't enough time...but thanks to all for the great advice...keep it coming!!!