Draining separate holding tanks

Started by tomr, April 29, 2009, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomr

Hi Folks. In my old motorhome, both they grey and black water tanks were joined at the drains, requiring one hose. The '75 Brave seems to have 2 separate drains. So, when camping in a serviced site, do I just hook the hose routinely to the greywater tank, and transfer it to the black from time to time in order to drain that one ? I suppose some sort of "Y" connector could be made...
also, according to the owner's manual, both tanks are 12 U.S. Gallons.

Tom

Oz

My Indian has separate drains.  They do make "Y" connectors and they are readily available at any RV place.  I got one and it works great.

Just remember:  Drain your black water tank first, then your gray water tank.  This will flush the residue of the black water tank out of the drain tube below the "Y".  You can even connect a back flush valve into the top of the tube, or put one on each and just connect the water hose to it and it will spray clean water back up into the tank(s) and then allow it to flush out.  Or, you can just close both drain valves and dump a few gallons of water down the commode and just run you faucet a little while, then repeat the draining process.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Elandan2

Note:  Before using a "Y" connector, watch the movie RV for personal safety tips!!  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

tiinytina

Make sure to measure the inner diameter and outter diameter of the current exit pipes... Valterra setups come in different widths etc.  And yes Grey water fills up faster than black water tank most of the time so I'd stay connected to that tank. We carry an empty 5 gallon bucket in Gone and fill it up at the dump station and pour it down the commode after the black tank drains.

And yes,  definitely watch the movie RV prior to draining any tank! Priceless!!!!
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!