Eliminating fuel tank selector switch

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 11, 2008, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Sent: 8/17/2008 6:02 PM

1973 BraveD20 -Dodge 318: I would like to eliminate the tank switch and wire only one tank to the fuel gauge. First I need to ask which tank is the main, the one in the rear of the motot home? The side tank leaked the first time I put gas in it when I first got it so I only use the rear tank. My gas gauge only goes to 1/2 when it is full (it now reads empty). Now I know what your thinking, how can I not know which tank is the main? Well I have not used the motor home in 2 years and my kids flipped the switch on the dash and now I can't remember which position it should be in. (getting old). Since I don't use the side tank I am thinking I should just disconnect the lines to it and run a line straight to the rear tank. I then want to eliminate the tank switch in the line and the switch on the dash. Has any one done this?

Sent: 8/18/2008 11:35 AM

I think of the tank that came with the bare chassis from Dodge as being the main tank - but there isnt any real law about this. On mine that main tank holds about 32 gallons, the aux. tank added by WInnebago right next to it holds 27 gallons.
You can certainly eliminate the tank selector function, and just run the line from the tank of your choice.

Sent: 8/19/2008 7:26 PM

I have always thought that the rear tank was the main, since it is the largest tank.  Mine has a 60 gallon "main" tank in the rear, and a 40 gallon "Aux." tank on the side.

Sent:  8/20/2008 12:01 AM

The main tank will be the one connected to the factory fuel line on the frame that goes to the fuel pump on the motor as installed by the chassis factory.A add on tank will have non factory parts and lines.
But over the years I have seen motorhomes that have been modified so many times by PO's that
its hard to say.

Sent: 8/21/2008 6:50 PM

As it ended up I disconnected the side tank and eliminated the tank switch. I wired the rear tank directly to the fuel gauge. With the price of gas one tank is enough! Thanks for all of your replies.