Cleaning Plastic Water Tanks

Started by LJ-TJ, April 23, 2009, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey Guys I just purchased an old plastic drinking water tank out of an old trailer. Any thoughts on how to clean it for drinking water? It us to be a drinking water tank I just want to make sure it's clean and sterile before I start using it for drinking water again.

OldEdBrady

I would imagine you could do it like I do with the water bottle we use in the Calypso. 

The instructions there say to fill it with water, and use about a half cup of bleach for each gallon.  Make sure it covers everything inside.  I'd even let it sit for an hour or so.

Then, you empty it, and rinse it out several times.  That ought to do it.

Arberg0

thats the way i used to clean out my home bru beer barrels in fact if my memory serves me correctly you can by a bleach that is designed to be used to clean out pvc barrels and the like and leaves no taste here is a list of sanatizers and there uses

http://www.brewsupplies.com/sanitizers_cleaner_table.htm  and you could do a lot worse than spend a little time on the clorox home page you would be amazed  as oldedBrady says at what clorax is used for

http://www.clorox.com/our_story/article.php?subsection=understanding_bleach&article_id=tab&WT.srch=1   clorax home page

have fun

arberg0 aka william :)ThmbUp
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

LJ-TJ

Appreciate that folks. That's about what I thought. But never hurts to ask just to be sure. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Just got the Winne back after three years of Auto Mechanic Rape. I now have a 1975 Winnebago worth over $20,000.00 dollars with a new motor, new transmission, new rear end, new drive shaft and two new universals as well as six new tires, six new rims at $70.00 each...anyone need a near new set of six 16" rims off a 75 dodge winne and it still doesn't run right. Almost but not quite.Aaaaaaaaaaaa.

tiinytina

Hi TJ and LJ... jeepers on the rig.... Zoicks!

For the tank. To sanitize you only need 1tsp of bleach per gallon of water. But I use at least a Tbs. ok in Metric that would be 20-25 mls per 4 liters. Shake it around really well or fill the entire tank (that way you know the solution is everywhere.  You can let it sit an hour or so but really no need.  Triple rinse with clean water until you can't smell any more bleach.  Chlorine will dissapate to the air so let the tank air out when complete with the rinses. Chlorine in low amount is not toxic, city tap water has 2-4 parts per million chlorine in it to keep the cooties at bay...

Happy trails and skies!
T
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!